Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

has management crossed a line?

Options
  • 23-04-2009 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi
    wondering about a situation causing a lot of angst in our school. When a colleague was absent, two members of management, one of whom is the union rep, enquired of a staff member, friend, of the absentee teacher of the mental state of the absentee teacher. Really upset the absentee teacher.
    She confronted the two. One apologised. The other wouldn't.
    Have they crossed a line? Management have told her its a private matter between the two colleagues.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭fionnmar

no i do not think they have crossed the line. it happens, frequently, in industry and in the real world that when people are out sick their well being is questioned. May be physical, may be mental well being. how can this be construed as crossing a line?
    Sorry - just re-read your post - if you meant colleague was absent on sick leave then no absolutely not. If you meant colleague was not in the room absent then 2 questioning colleagues mental state are gossiping and petty. Need to know more about the context though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think I'd need to know more about the situation and the question posed.
    'How's John getting on?' or 'Have you heard from John?' are innocuous enough, whereas something like 'Is John depressed?' is not.

You know your own staff best as to whether any malice was meant by the enquiry.

Advertisement