Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

negotiation with trade in

Options
  • 22-04-2009 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this is a rather obvious question.

can someone clear up the situation with negotiation when you're trading in

usually on adverts you will see cash price only, discounts for cash etc

so does this mean if your trading in you can only negotiate the price you will get for your car and they won't move on the price of the car

or "in the current climate" can you still negotiate the price on the car, or what's the standard practice when trading in? will the amount for the trade in keep changing depending on the car your buying?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ntlbell wrote: »
    so does this mean if your trading in you can only negotiate the price you will get for your car and they won't move on the price of the car
    Forget about the price of the car, what they're giving you for your car, etc etc. Focus on the cost to change, it's the only figure that matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

When trading in, concentrate on the cost to change, and not what the sales person is giving you for your own car, or what discount he's giving you.

*EDIT* ^What he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Anan1 wrote: »
    Forget about the price of the car, what they're giving you for your car, etc etc. Focus on the cost to change, it's the only figure that matters.

are they usually open to negotiate on that cost tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Almost always. Remember, though, that the % by which they're willing to come down is also irrelevant - the only things that count are what you pay and what you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'd always leave a couple of hundred euro "haggle room" just in case the customer tries to nail me to the wall or wants me to throw in X or Y.

You'd leave hundreds so that you can acquiesce to their requests, but you won't leave thousand(s) because that would make you uncompetitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

AudiChris wrote: »
    I'd always leave a couple of hundred euro "haggle room" just in case the customer tries to nail me to the wall or wants me to throw in X or Y.

You'd leave hundreds so that you can acquiesce to their requests, but you won't leave thousand(s) because that would make you uncompetitive.

Heh, I'm just trying to avoid wasting people's times and my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭carface

Dont worry about wasting peoples time at the moment.
    Simply ask for a cost to change??? Compare prices with other similar cars in other garages.. buying on a straight deal may be more attractive looking with words like cash sale,cash discount,cash whatever???? but it makes little difference cash,bankdraft,postal order,cheque etc.. what way you pay the dealer will have a bottom line.
    In your case "bottom line" = cost to change.
    all the best

Advertisement