Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First Car Insurance Question

Options
  • 22-04-2009 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

Hello all, just a question about getting my first car. I'm more than likely going to have to go to another county to get the car I want so I was just wondering how things work in that respect.

Say I go view a car and like it. I pay for it blah blah. The plan for me is to get my mother to put herself down for the insurance for the car and for me to be a named driver coz I can't afford to pay for insurance for myself only. So do I call her and say "Ma, give CornMarket (that's whos she's with, theyre cheap and good) a ring and tell them you've bought a second car, and I'm a named driver" she gives the details blah blah blah.

First question is how does paying for insurance work? Do I give them my bank details and they take out a years premium or can I have it in such a way that I only pay a certain amount every month? And the second question is am I able to take the car home immediately? Or do I have to wait a few days, what about the disc for the window and so on...

Hope someone can help me out. Thanks a lot. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Firstly, you/your mother should get a quote on the car you have in mind. If you are happy with the figure, ask them what is required to put it in place. Some will want a form filled in others will want payment, licences, etc. Don't expect to phone in from the side of a road to an Insurer and expect to be covered there and then.

As for payment, remember if the policy is in your mother's name, insurers will want payment or direct debit from her, not you.

Basically, all insurers are different, so ask the company your mother is going with to set out the procedure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Well if your mother already has a car, she'll have to take a new policy out on the second car which will start with 0 NCD. So it wouldn't be as cheap as her just adding you to her current car.

As far as paying goes you can usually pay monthly with a standing order but you will be charged interest for that privilege.

When your collecting the car just say you want the policy to start at such and such a time and they'll say grand. You'll be insured even if you don't have the disc. If you get stopped by a card and explan it to him im sure common sense will prevail.

It might help if you have a receipt from whoever you buy it from though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

You're probably better off getting someone to drive the car home when you drive it.

In order to be insured, you'll have to provide the company with a copy of your licence seen as its your first policy. Chances are you'll have to pay before you get insured too.

Certain companies like Quinn allow you to pay monthly after paying a certain amount of the policy up front, others dont, so check with your company.

It will take a few days to get the disc in the post, but you will be insured in the meantime as long as you have paid whatever is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Why do you have to go to another country to get the car? For your first car I'd recommend getting something in Ireland and try and get some sort of a warranty with it. Just get something cheapish and get your insurance down.

The insurance isnt really a problem but you being a named driver is. The insurance company might say (as happened to me) that the named driver is only permitted to drive your mothers current car. It is also insurance fraud and therefore illegal for you to be a named driver if you are the main driver. You would have to register the car in your mothers name which means she is accountable for any traffic offences you commit. Plus if you were to crash your mother would lose her no claims bonus etc etc. Whatever way you look at it it isnt a good idea.

You can pay insurance per month, but it works out more expensive that way. Not sure if you will be able to pay it per month if you are adding the car to your mothers policy, might have to be paid in one go.

You can take the car home immediately and you have 48 hours to pay the VRT, the disc will be sent to you in the post, and will be delivered in around 3 days.

Oops. Mis-read your post, thanks rocknchef for pointing that out, ignore 1st and last bit of what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

op said county

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I'm not getting it to it, but there is an awful lot of incorrect information above. Go to a good broker/insurance company, explain the correct circumstances and objectives and they will find a solution. Just do it in plenty of time before you buy your car

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If you buy a car, get your mother to transfer her insurance onto your car for a day and get her to drive it back. Once that is done, sort out your own insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

If you buy a car, get your mother to transfer her insurance onto your car for a day and get her to drive it back. Once that is done, sort out your own insurance.
    Ooo now thats an interesting idea.

Advertisement