Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for coming back online?

Options
  • 22-04-2009 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Used to play a fair bit online/live over 2 years ago now. Finishing work end of April and going travelling end of June, so looking to play a fair bit in the intervening months. I also want to know I can beat low stakes up to maybe 1/2 if possible before i go travelling as I hope to be able to make a bit when travelling.

Ive got myself sorted with a decent deal on ipoker and have subscribed to pokerswat and watch a fair few vids, mainly hectorjelly's, and have also lurked these forums for a long while so have a fair idea of how aggressive etc the games have become. Anyways what else do I need to get going....

Holdem Manager - Will download this in next day or soon, and get used to it before I start playing. Any tips/sites i should check out 1st?
    Hand HQ - Was thinking of buying datamined hands from here, is it worth it? How many hands should i be looking to buy(thinking maybe .50/1, 1/2 players
    Eyepoker - Is this what people use to datamine ipoker? If so, is it easy to set up etc, and should I get it going and datamine for a few days before i play?

Ive also reopened my neteller but now they dont accept mastercard deposits, any1 else had this problem and what is the way round this?

Im really a total novice in realtion to HM, Hand HQ etc, and their various terms, so please be gentle with the advice and the use of jargon etc!Are the above 3 tools all worthwhile investments, i know HM obv is.

Thanks in advance
    Will

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

Welcome back willis..

you seem to be on the right road anyway.. HM is your first port of call...
    take some time to get used to it and the HU displays...

Buy eyepoker and do a bit of your own datamining.. I certainly wouldn't buy any hands of anyone.. a bit of your own datamining will be enough to get you started...

A lot of ipoker players use iboilde and find it very usefull to make the mini tables more bearable...

Do you intend to multitable? If so a reload /betpot script is handy...

bankroll management is the main advice I would give to anyone.. even more so now in the tougher games... 10/12 bi downswings seem to more and mroe the norm so you need to be able to handle them..

there was a thread on here recently if you do a bit of lookiong had some good advice on returning to the game

gl with it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

What Macspower said, get HEM, open up some 1 cent 2 cent tables and mess around with the HUD until you get one you like, other than that you seem to be well on the way. It'll probably take a little while to adjust to the more aggressive games but the difference isn't mind blowing, you'll quickly adjust I'd imagine, and experience yourself is the best way to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭willis

TY guys

Has anyone had the problem with neteller(I.e. cant deposit via mastercard) I can withdraw from neteller to my bank a/c, is there a way of depositing using this, or is it best to maybe get someone to transfer me cash via neteller and I just pay them through a player transfer on another site/cash in hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

what-choo-talkin-bout-willis.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Not really got any tips but just a general nosey question, why you give up in the 1st place?when i started out i remember you doing very well both live(u win student poker open?) and online(wpt or something?) is that you or am i mixing you up?you seemed to be one of the best up and coming players round that time just curious why you gave up?half thinking of given it a rest myself for a while to get my appetite back, if you don't wana answer the q thats fine i understand mate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

Get a RB deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

he mentions he has a rakeback deal set up already

also, yes he was very good back then, but since concentrated on work (accountancy) and decided it was more important meeting up with the lads and boozing than playing poker in his spare time. dead right imo

(this is my interpretation of it)

id say he'l beat 1/2 and with rb will do well for that short period

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭davidgti

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Unless life aint worth livin then go for it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Don't do it Willis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭willis

POKERKING wrote: »
    Not really got any tips but just a general nosey question, why you give up in the 1st place?when i started out i remember you doing very well both live(u win student poker open?) and online(wpt or something?) is that you or am i mixing you up?you seemed to be one of the best up and coming players round that time just curious why you gave up?half thinking of given it a rest myself for a while to get my appetite back, if you don't wana answer the q thats fine i understand mate!

No problem. Donal was half right! I didnt give up to concentrate on the accountancy(lol i hate the work i do!), but it was a huge contributing factor.
    Basically i started a 3.5yr training contract in oct 2005. I hated it and struggled to adapt to working long hours having come from a handy last few months in college. Aswell as this i had my best ever run in poker, and in the 1st 6months of work i made nearly 5 months wages in 2 tournies, as well as winning wpt trip. I came very very close to quitting the job after this, but didnt have the balls to be honest.

After deciding to stick it out i started playing cash games online. I was able to beat 2/4 and 3/6 over a small sample(i didnt have time to play much). Then 1 night i came home and played a couple of hours, and tilted for the 1st time in a long time, and dropped 2 buyins at 2/4 as a result. I immediately turned off my comp, went to bed, and was so angry at myself for tilting. I could barely sleep, and then was up early for work the next day. I then just decided that i didnt need that **** anymore, for all the money i was making i wasnt enjoying it. This plus the fact that I couldnt commit the hours needed to be succesful at poker(i.e. reading HH's, using software tools etc) made me just quit, and I havent played since(late summer 2006 i think). I see players i played with back then, some no longer play, and some seem to be making a killing, but i dont have any regrets, im only 25, and at least I will always have accountancy to fall back on.

The reason i have decided to get back into it is because I will have 2 months off, so loads of time to dedicate to learning the game again. Also, I hope to be out of this country for about 2 years, and dont fancy working at all in those 2 years, so if i can beat the game again it would obviously be very useful in achieving this ambition. Im really looking forward to it actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

any time someone tells me they want to take up poker to make money I think of this and tell them not to.

It really is hard to get into and easy to lose money while convincing yourself you're doing OK. Lots of smart people fall into this trap, so it can happen to you too. And for all the freedom it gives you, it's not really a great lifestyle, especially if you play live.

Obviously your situation is a little different because you've played fairly seriously before. But things have changed a lot in 2 years, I'd still advise you not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

RoundTower wrote: »
    But things have changed a lot in 2 years, I'd still advise you not to.

Big time. It seems to be getting tougher and tougher all the time. I'm going to kick off a new thread about this as don't want to get the OP's thread too far OT.

Advertisement