Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open source activity map of the world

Options
  • 22-04-2009 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

Country rankings for open source software adoption:

1. France (1.35)
    2. Spain (1.07)
    3. Germany (1.05)
    4. Australia (1.04)
    5. Finland (1.03)
    6. Britain (1.00)
    7. Norway (0.95)
    8. Estonia (0.89)
    9. United States of America (0.89)
    10. Denmark (0.79)

19. Ireland

Click on a country to see the rankings by sector:
    http://www.redhat.com/about/where-is-open-source/activity/

Ireland gets a low ranking for government use of open source software - The governments of France, Spain, Brazil and Germany are the top 4 users of open source.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

The low ranking of government use here is hardly surprising when you have tools like Batt O'Keeffe beaming in front of the media after having wasted millions of our money on paying M$ tax for school workstations, the government depts here and all semi state should be converted to Open Source OS, software and file formats and stop the waste of public money on worhless licence fees.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Microsoft employ thousands here Ireland, so I'm not surprised that the government is keeping low key with open source. They don't want to annoy Redmond, seems sensible enough for the time being.

Nope they should adopt the French govt. policy of only using Open Source OSs and file formats, the M$ tax is onerous and vile and they support a locked down proprietary future.

MC

Nope they should adopt the French govt. policy of only using Open Source OSs and file formats, the M$ tax is onerous and vile and they support a locked down proprietary future.

MC

Sure, I agree in principle. but in the case of the Irish republic, we get a lot more back from Microsoft than we give to them.

http://www.finfacts.ie/irelandbusinessnews/publish/article_10005150.shtml

So for the Irish Government, it would be stupid to rock the boat by going on a FOSS crusade.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Sure, I agree in principle. but in the case of the Irish republic, we get a lot more back from Microsoft than we give to them.

Agreed.

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote: »
    Agreed.

\ Takes big stick... :D /

As an MCP I see where you are coming from but the waste of funds is scandalous, I'll be asking one of my TD's (its handy he's the chairman of the Public Accs Comm) to ask the Dept of Finance a few questions re this and see if they will answer truthfully.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

That is not the way I read it.
    Do they pay any tax at all on income from their IP?
    Flat Island Company made a profit of $802.4 million in 2004 on sales of $2 billion, but paid no tax. It issues licences for software in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.

Then they pay the lowest EU corporate tax rate on everything else.

They paid about $300 million tax but saved at least $500 million over what they would have had to pay in the US.

So, looking at those figures I would suggest they are well ahead in the gains stake.

No doubt the only reason they are here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

That is not the way I read it.
    Do they pay any tax at all on income from their IP?

It's the tax that's paid by the amount of people they employ - that's the very reason for our low corporation tax rate.

However I disagree with the comments above. MS are here for our skilled workforce and favourable tax rates not for our Government adoption of MS software. They could switch to OS software without threatening MS World Domination. Let's be serious - the Irish civil service moving to Linux/OO/etc would hardly even register as a blip on their radar.

But the financial savings to Ireland would be considerable. France did it - their police force has saved up to €50 million by migrating. There's a few hospitals in Ireland that could use some of that €50 million were we to go down that path.

Macros42 wrote: »
    It's the tax that's paid by the amount of people they employ - that's the very reason for our low corporation tax rate.

Exactly not just the tax revenues but also the employment and all the other businesses that supply Microsoft and the "prestige" of having their EMEA operations here.

Advertisement