Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinion needed on purchase of 1996 Saab

Options
  • 22-04-2009 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭

I've just spotted a 1996 93 SE 2.0 Saab for sale near my house. It's priced for a quick sale and to be honest, I'm tempted. It looks in decent nick (a few scratches) but I haven't test driven it yet.

Are there any major flaws with these cars, or anything that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

How much? Mileage? NCT?
    The Saab 9-3 was launched in 1998 so that car should be badged as a 900.
    Car itself isn't too bad, kinda a fan but The max i'd be putting into it would be €1000 to €1500, if even that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

How much? Mileage? NCT?

Dunno the mileage as I couldn't see, but the NCT is good for another year.
    The Saab 9-3 was launched in 1998 so that car should be badged as a 900.

That's what I thought too, yet it's badged as a 93. Think someone was playing around with the badges?

Car itself isn't too bad, kinda a fan but The max i'd be putting into it would be €1000 to €1500, if even that.

It's priced a good bit under €1k, so it seems quite attractive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

A 96' will be a 900. After an Audi A4 the worst car I've ever had. Its based on a vectra chassis (I should have known better).Very easy to work on , but Saab parts are very expensive. They are heavy enough on petrol as well(28mpg) .The seal on the distributor went on my 97' one. I replaced it myself but Saab quoted 900euro for a new distributor. I had a mondeo before it and the handling was terrible compared with the ford. In fact everything was inferior to the mondeo. I sold mine after a year and bought another mondeo. Having said all that the seats were very comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

The 900 has a sort of a cult status, more so the early ones. We had a 9000 several years back and it was heavy no juice (well any intercooled 2.3 petrol would be), but very comfortable and quite fast.

There are several saab fanatics on the forum who would advise you further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

I've got a 1998 convertible model, and quite like it. The seats are the most comfortable I've ever sat in, and the ride - well, it suits the coupe, wouldn't like it in a saloon. Expect about 28-32mpg, nothing great. If it's got a turbo, it'll be an unreal car - without, just run of the mill really.
    Still, the 5 door version is (imo) not particularly pretty, and it's hardly the most desirable car right now. I wouldn't pay any more than 1k for it.
    Oh, and as mentioned - definitely a 900NG if it's a 96, chrome badges are cheap on eBay. See:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_900

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

For less than a grand, there isn't that much to lose :D

It's only really a Saab in name. The platform used is based on the '89 Opel Vectra - nuff said

That said, the Saab is very comfy, so if you don't care about handling, you sure might give it some serious consideration. It it was the Saab or any sub €1k Toyota, I know which I would pick...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

The SAAB of that vintage is pretty reliable , had one and the only trouble I ever had was a thing called a DI Casette which seems to have been a common fault.

Is it a LPT model ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,178 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

bazz26 wrote: »

Jaysus, that CSE has NCT till '11 and is still taxed till the end of next month. How wrong could you possibly get for just a grand?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Tax would cost 60+% of the purchase cost annually. Heavy running costs. 13 years old too, so expect ongoing repairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Saabs had a great reputation for safety but that reputation was damaged by the 900 scoring poorly in EuroNCAP. So if one of the reasons you are thinking of a Saab is safety then be aware of that. The 9000 was never tested by EuroNCAP but could reasonably expected to do at least as badly as the 900 and probably worse.

Then again, not many sub 1000 euro cars have good NCAP scores but there are cars in this size/price bracket such as the 1996 Nissan Primera and old Volvo S40 that do better than the 900.

Advertisement