Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car wont start... then starts!

Options
  • 22-04-2009 8:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

I have never had trouble with my car (have it just under a year). Its a 02 Punto.

On Sunday just passed, I drove to a friends house. I left four hours later. When I got into the car it just wouldnt start. The engine is 'turning over' but not 'firing up'. Sorry I dont know the technical terms, but hopefully you get me. Anyway, my friend checked spark plugs, engine connections etc, we even tried jump leads. After an hour we gave up and I phone breakdown assistance. Two hours later, when the guy arrive from breakdown assistance, he sat into the car, turned the key and it started. Because it was late, he said he could tow it, but I was more interested in getting home so I drove back home without incident.

It was working fine all day Monday. Yesterday [Tuesday], I drove to work no bother, parked outside work. When I came out yesterday evening, same problem. Engine wouldnt kick in. I left the car at work and got a lift home with a friend. I come in today [Wednesday] and the car starts...?

Any ideas? I am going to bring it to a garage, I am just wondering if anyone knows what it could be, or more importantly, is it going to cost me a fortune?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So stone cold engine starts but any residual heat and it won't? No thats not right cos the engine wouldn't have been stone cold on Sunday when you tried it.

Could there be vapor lock?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭firebug_guy

mike65 wrote: »
    So stone cold engine starts but any residual heat and it won't? No thats not right cos the engine wouldn't have been stone cold on Sunday when you tried it.

Could there be vapor lock?

And it was stone cold when I tried it after work yesterday :( but I also assume it was stone cold this morning too. Went back to garage of place where I got it and they said they would have to do diagnostics on it as (of course) it worked every time they tried it in the garage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 JoJoW

I had a similar problem when it was a freezing cold morning and flooded my engine..so can be when it's very cold..or maybe sometimes if you've left an interior light on by mistake? or used more battery power by running mobile phone or sat nav in your cigarette lighter which can use more battery power?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

My friend has the same problem with a 01 Punto but after around 20mins or so she will get it started.
    The car has often cut out on her while sitting in traffic and again wont start for about 15-20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭firebug_guy

bobcar61 wrote: »
    My friend has the same problem with a 01 Punto but after around 20mins or so she will get it started.
    The car has often cut out on her while sitting in traffic and again wont start for about 15-20 minutes.

Thats what I am afraid of. Car worked yesterday at lunch but not after work. Aaargh! Its driving me crazy. Anyway, I am bringing it in tomorrow (if it starts!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I had the same on my 99 Brava.

Occasionally it would just have a italian hissy fit and not start ... turn over not firing.

I always found a push start did the job

Never worked out why it did it , wierd

Sorry not much help I know , but a push start may do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

The diagnostic test didnt tell what sensors are acting up.

Had a Starlet that started from cold no problem, but once warm

and switched off wouldnt start, Engine Temp sensor at fault.

I'd be guessing same for your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Paige Turner

Must be a fiat thing - this was happening with my car not too long ago. It turned out to be the starter. While I was waiting to get it fixed I had to ask somebody to turn the car over while I gently tapped the starter with a hammer! Worked every time! It also needed new spark plugs as the other ones were corroded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fix
    It
    Again
    Tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

mike65 wrote: »
    Fix
    It
    Again
    Tomorrow

And if that doesn't work F8ck It AlTogether* :)

*I'm a big FIAT 500 fan before anyone says I don't like FIAT btw ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement