Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

research ideas: american history

Options
  • 22-04-2009 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

i have a chance, albeit a slim one as ive only found out that there is an oppertunity for me to go back to college and attempt a PhD. this was my longer term goal, but loosing a job some time back and not looking like i'll get one anytime soon means that this could maybe not have come at a better time.

Anyway, i had originally planned to take some time out and relax/work and just not study at all, but now all of a sudden ive to come up with a research idea and its a bit too sudden.

any areas which any one thinks need or warrant in depth study at all at all. Doesnt really matter what era of american history, ive broadly covered it all, speciallised in foreign policy/affairs and more so growth in the nineteenth century. Im leaning towards sticking with foreign policy affairs but dont know what yet.

all suggestions welcome, and excuse my ignorance if i dont reply too mucg. have to scour my books and old notes for ideas.

Cheers,
    Van

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

with all the gun violence, maybe an in depth look at the 2nd amendment?

It's relevance back when it was introduced and its relevence now, could be interesting

I expect credit in your final copy! :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

For a PHD you would really need to focus in on a very narrow area and put all your efforts on that area... In effect you would need to become an 'expert' in that field!

How about a new perspective on the Monroe Doctrine?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Vandie wrote: »
    i have a chance, albeit a slim one as ive only found out that there is an oppertunity for me to go back to college and attempt a PhD. this was my longer term goal, but loosing a job some time back and not looking like i'll get one anytime soon means that this could maybe not have come at a better time.

Anyway, i had originally planned to take some time out and relax/work and just not study at all, but now all of a sudden ive to come up with a research idea and its a bit too sudden.

any areas which any one thinks need or warrant in depth study at all at all. Doesnt really matter what era of american history, ive broadly covered it all, speciallised in foreign policy/affairs and more so growth in the nineteenth century. Im leaning towards sticking with foreign policy affairs but dont know what yet.

all suggestions welcome, and excuse my ignorance if i dont reply too mucg. have to scour my books and old notes for ideas.

Cheers,
    Van

The activities of Fenian supporters in the US is something I would love to see written on more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Joe1919

I wrote a long essay once on the 'reconstruction' era in the southern states. I taught it was interesting how the American South had lost the civil war but 'won the peace' in terms of regaining much of there dominance and how it took another 100 years to regain much of the civil rights that had been proposed in the 14 & 15 amendments.

Eamonn DeValera visit in 1919 to the USA is also interesting in terms of his interference with American politics and the failure of Wilson to get support in the US senate for his 'League of Nations'. Was there a connection?

Joe1919 wrote: »
    I wrote a long essay once on the 'reconstruction' era in the southern states. I taught it was interesting how the American South had lost the civil war but 'won the peace' in terms of regaining much of there dominance and how it took another 100 years to regain much of the civil rights that had been proposed in the 14 & 15 amendments.

Eamonn DeValera visit in 1919 to the USA is also interesting in terms of his interference with American politics and the failure of Wilson to get support in the US senate for his 'League of Nations'. Was there a connection?

Cant help on the latter point, but you may be interested in Wolfgang Schnivelbusches' 'The Culture of Defeat' - one of its three cases deals with the behaviour of the american South after the civil war.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

efla wrote: »
    The activities of Fenian supporters in the US is something I would love to see written on more

Or the Irish on either side of American the Civil war.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

If you do do the 2A, I'd like to read a copy!

Maybe the Spanish-American war, or the American expansion into the Pacific in general? (We've got a bunch of soldiers from Guam working with us). It seems to be an under-known part of America's expansion in world influence.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

How about more recent history and take a shot at the CIA (no pun intended) for it is they, and they alone, who have run the US this last 60 years. It could a huge area, from political assignations, starting wars to killing presidents, riveting stuff.

(You would run the risk of being banned for life from the USA,but thems the breaks)

dubtom wrote: »
    How about more recent history and take a shot at the CIA (no pun intended) for it is they, and they alone, who have run the US this last 60 years. It could a huge area, from political assignations, starting wars to killing presidents, riveting stuff.

(You would run the risk of being banned for life from the USA,but thems the breaks)

Not a subject that lends itself well to doctoral work. Perhaps a well defined proxy case study, but with limited sources and difficult supervision... Amongst other things

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

May I suggest a topic from the losing side of the historical cycle - e.g. the American Loyalists which seem to have been airbrushed from US history.

Or perhaps a topic on the history of Las Vegas, you would need to do plenty of field research.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

If you do do the 2A, I'd like to read a copy!

Maybe the Spanish-American war, or the American expansion into the Pacific in general? (We've got a bunch of soldiers from Guam working with us). It seems to be an under-known part of America's expansion in world influence.

NTM

A friend of mine is doing a paper on this area of history this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Vandie wrote: »

Cheers,
    Van

Fair play, Van.

Just came through the other side so some advice in hindsight:

*Set a time limit on your research. This is the most important decision you will have to make. Try and get it done in 2 years. This is very possible. In this order:

1. Decide your general area of interest

2. Approach a potential supervisor who you think you may like to work with (a simple google for your historical interests should reveal who is writing on your area).

3. Get their ideas for a thesis based on your interests, and also take ideas from the general discussion you will both probably have. For instance, you are clearly interested in many areas. However, what areas is the research funding going into? (very important consideration, as crude as it may at this moment appear). Anyway, this discussion with a potential supervisor should be really valuable.

4. Find out what kind of supervisor they are; are they hands on, or do
    they regularly disappear? (you could ask around etc as well) ; Do they have deadlines for your research and what sort of structure do they have to support you?; Will they be able to get you published before your viva voce examination?; would it be possible to finish it in two years (or is the minimum time for the PhD set at 3 years)?; What are the chances of you being accepted to begin the following September?

5. They will probably recommend that you also chat with other historians in your chosen area. Definitely do this. Ask the same sort of questions to all of them.

6. Then, use the months - as many months as possible - before you officially begin the PhD to actually start it on your own. This is a really smart move (which totally eluded me but not my flatmate). You officially start then with a great psychological advantage. You bring momentum with you, and urgency. There is far less messing around in the first 6 months - year. The importance of this momentum, this psychological edge, is ineffable.

7. The bad news. PhDs involve long and unnatural periods of isolation. As you probably know from the mental health adverts on RTÉ last year a disproportionately high number of PhD students suffer a wide range of psychological problems attached to their studies, depression in particular. Thus, getting that head start (see # 6) and keeping on your game every day and night will keep you more optimistic and healthier. Don't rest until you are over that line. Cry, talk, get counselling, get whatever you need - but don't let the magnitude of it all stultify you and impede your daily progress. It gets much bigger with every day of avoiding work, which largely accounts for why so many people quit before those magic words are said to you at your viva voce.

8. The good news. When you get into your research, it can be the most exhilarating, independent and liberating time of your life.

I'll come back another day with a few ideas. You have some very good ones above so far.

Advertisement