Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Information Needed on Repeating College Year...

Options
  • 22-04-2009 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi all...

Well it's that time of year when the exams roll around again and I'm full sure I'm not going to pass them. I'm currently in 2nd year and would be going into 3rd.

I've had a lot of trouble getting my head in the right place to commit to my studies this year and this has seen me miss weeks of college at a time... Something which I really regret as my course is ok and I get along with most in my course fairly well along with some great close friends.

Honestly, I'm in a rut.

I know that leaving college now in the current climate will result in an extended period on social benefits while I look for work and I really dont want that situation.

I'm not looking for any sympathy as I know it's all entirely my own fault for f***ing the year up...

Anyway, I'm seriously considering repeating the year. I dont know anyone who has done this and I'm not sure how big of a deal it is, but I really want to stay in college and I think given the chance again I would definately give 2nd year my best shot.

Can anyone shed light on repeating years?

How much does it cost?

Where does this leave me with relation to the college fees?

- I recall hearing that they are not being introduced until 2010 and at that they are only applicable to would-be 1st years entering the system?

Is there much paperwork / application forms etc... to go through?

Does it look bad on a CV?

Sorry for the cluelessness, as I say I dont know anyone who's done it.

I will however be finding out as much as I can from the head of my school in the coming days, but just wanted to hear anything you fine people might have to say.

Cheers,

S.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

it'll cost a fair wack, try focus on a few subjects and get them out of the way, most colleges charge per subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

most colleges charge per subject.

On Mars maybe.

OP - talk to the head of your department. They are usually very approachable about such things. More than likely he/she will appreciate your honesty and that you've put thought into it. They'll give you the best guidance you can get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

+1 with ArseBurger.

Talk to your course director/tutor whoever about your concerns and they'll discuss options with you. Would you have to repeat the whole year rather than just the exams?! There might be an in-between rather than dropping out or repeating the year.

Your tutors are there to help you, they don't want to lose you from the course (no matter how much some of them make it look like they do!). You're in a good place now to get help from them, before you fail anything, rather than knocking on their door after the fact.

Advertisement