Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need Help!!!

Options
  • 22-04-2009 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Im 19 and I just put a deposit down on a 99 Honda Integra 1.6L.....but nobody will insure me on it!!!
    I have a full license for over a year and a years no claims.....is there anything I can do??? I really want this car!!lol

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

19 with a full licence, you'll definately get insurance on that, its only a 1.6 Integra, shop around or ask in modified motors section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭tommmy1979

go and get your deposit back, you're going to need more years NCB before you'll get covered on that car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Dartz

You could put it in your mother's/Father's name as their car. Their name on the tax-disk and such, their name on the policy, then add yourself as a named driver on their policy.

I think that's all legal and aboveboard. I know I used my parents car more than they used it when I was that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,178 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, hind sight now but always make sure you can afford to insure a car before deciding to securing the purchase of it with a deposit. This could end up being an expensive lesson for you.

Best advice is get the goldenpages out tomorrow and ring every insurance company in there. Failing getting insurance explain the situation to the seller nicely, they may return all or a portion of your deposit.

bazz26 wrote: »
    explain the situation to the seller nicely, they may return all or a portion of your deposit.

:eek::eek:
    i always thought that you'd be legally entitled to your deposit back. If a car dealer tried to keep my deposit under such circumstances i'd probably end up getting arrested..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

A deposit AFAIK ties the seller into selling only to you but doesn't force you to buy the car regardless. He'd be a right arsehole to argue with you about giving it back once you explained about the situation. If it came down to it though legally you'd be entitled to your money back i'd hope.

You are entitled to a quote from all insurance companies remind them of this on the phone and prepare to drop your pants when they quote you as i'd imagine an integra is loaded to the hilt.

Try excessdirect.ie they'll quote anyone but have a minimum excess of 4000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Nismotony

3 questions for ya before i say anything...

1. do you hold a policy at present?

2. If you do when is the policy out?

3. Who have you tried for a quote?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

bazz26 wrote: »
    OP, hind sight now but always make sure you can afford to insure a car before deciding to securing the purchase of it with a deposit. This could end up being an expensive lesson for you.

Best advice is get the goldenpages out tomorrow and ring every insurance company in there. Failing getting insurance explain the situation to the seller nicely, they may return all or a portion of your deposit.

What he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

DanGerMus wrote: »
    A deposit AFAIK ties the seller into selling only to you but doesn't force you to buy the car regardless. He'd be a right arsehole to argue with you about giving it back once you explained about the situation. If it came down to it though legally you'd be entitled to your money back i'd hope.

The idea of a deposit is to hold the item while you pay the balance, or prepare to recieve the item -in this case a car.

If the OP doesnt buy the car now, I dont think he is legally entitled to his deposit back. On saying that, was there a receipt or order form signed? Was there anything signed?

The seller may possibly have sold this car already if the OP didnt ask him to hold onto it - if the OP pulls out the seller will be forced to advertise at his own cost, so maybe he will want to hold onto the deposit. If its a private sale, i'd say you'd be lucky to get it back, if its from a garage you may have a better chance.

After saying all that, i dont think you have too much to worry about, because you should get insured on that car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭3qsmavrod5twfe

Try Britton's or an insurance broker. Not sure if Hibernian/Aviva still do that ignition thing for young drivers. If they don't insure you/get you insured I'd try to get you deposit back and go for something different from the Integra, 1.3l-1.4l region - (Lancer, Focus, Corolla, 206 if you're a bit girly... ;)).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

Try First Ireland, they're cheaper than Britton insurance for me on performance cars. Also if the car is modified then its going to be more difficult to get cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

tommmy1979 wrote: »
    :eek::eek:
    i always thought that you'd be legally entitled to your deposit back. If a car dealer tried to keep my deposit under such circumstances i'd probably end up getting arrested..
    DanGerMus wrote: »
    A deposit AFAIK ties the seller into selling only to you but doesn't force you to buy the car regardless. He'd be a right arsehole to argue with you about giving it back once you explained about the situation.
    I don't know where you guys are getting this from - deposits on cars are generally non-refundable except under certain conditions stated on the order form. Perhaps one of you could explain to me how the seller is responsible for the buyer's insurance affairs?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Dartz wrote: »
    You could put it in your mother's/Father's name as their car. Their name on the tax-disk and such, their name on the policy, then add yourself as a named driver on their policy.

I think that's all legal and aboveboard. I know I used my parents car more than they used it when I was that age.

It depends on who is nominated as the "main driver" on the proposal form.

Anan1 wrote: »
    I don't know where you guys are getting this from - deposits on cars are generally non-refundable except under certain conditions stated on the order form. Perhaps one of you could explain to me how the seller is responsible for the buyer's insurance affairs?

I stand corrected...

just found this on the SIMI website FAQs, had a look out of curiosity..

[URL="javascript:showHide('question_7');"]Q: If I change my mind am I entitled to my deposit back?[/URL]

A: A deposit is a payment that is made to a retailer by a consumer which indicates an intention to buy a product or a service. The amount of the deposit and the timing of payment of the balance are a matter between the consumer and the supplier. When you pay a deposit for goods, a contract is created between you as a consumer, and the supplier of the product or service. If you change your mind and no longer wish to purchase the product, legally you will be seen as not fulfilling your part of the contract. You are not entitled to your deposit back if you simply change your mind. It will be up to the supplier as to whether they will refund any deposit paid.

I'm shocked to be honest, can't see how a seller can keep your cash if no goods or services are exchanged.

T

I'm shocked to be honest, can't see how a seller can keep your cash if no goods or services are exchanged.

T
    Because the buyer contracted to buy the car and then broke the contract. If you put a deposit on a car and the seller reneged on their end of the deal, how would you feel?

Because the buyer contracted to buy the car and then broke the contract. If you put a deposit on a car and the seller reneged on their end of the deal, how would you feel?

How would i feel?

I guess i'd be pretty pissed off becasue morally i'd have to give the buyer his money back... i just can't take something that's not mine... just the way i was brought up i guess:o

How would i feel?

I guess i'd be pretty pissed off becasue morally i'd have to give the buyer his money back... i just can't take something that's not mine... just the way i was brought up i guess:o
    With respect, I don't think you understand the concept of a non-refundable deposit.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Jesus, what's the point in putting down a deposit if you can just get it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

With respect, I don't think you understand the concept of a non-refundable deposit.;)

+1

Also, why you'd set about buying a car without seeing if you can be insured is baffling. Quinn should give you some kind of quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Jesus, what's the point in putting down a deposit if you can just get it back?

+ 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Kiya

Hi Padraiglc,

Have you tried www.chill.ie ?

Out of all the insurance companies/brokers I tried, I only received 1 quote which was over 4k for a sports car, tried these guys & got 2 quotes under €600.

Best of luck.

(i posted this reply to you under the modified thread too)

Advertisement