Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Runner at Heart

• 21-04-2009 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

I've already posted on the main forum so I'll just sum up again. I've been running for about a year, generally 5km-10km. My 10km PB is 46:50 and I've signed up for a half marathon at the end of September so I'd like to prepare for that. First by following this beginner plan and then hopefully this intermediate plan which should fill up the 5 months between now and then.

So I plan on running 4 times a week, and I'll play 5 a side football 1 day week (not the best cross training but I enjoy it).

I'll keep my log up to date with my progress and my runs, I'm in the best shape I've ever been right now so I'm looking to improve it.

Today I did the Cooper Test, and ran 2780m in 12 minutes, which puts me into the 'very good' category for my age (30). :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Best of luck with the training! You're flying it already!! You'll do great in the half marathon with all this time to train for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done with the Cooper test. A great platform to launch your Half-marathon bid! Onwards and upwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

I had a sore calf for a couple of weeks, but I got back out on Thursday.

Thursday: 3 miles in 26:38
    Saturday: 4 miles in 35:49
    Sunday: 8 miles in 1:06:40

The 8 miles was the furthest I've gone yet, the times are slow but I'm really learning how to pace myself. For the 8 I did the first mile at 10 min/mile pace, second at 9 min pace and the rest at 8 min pace, which is why I managed to get through those last 2 miles. I'll try running 9 and 10 in the next couple of weeks. And I'll join a running club tomorrow. :)

Went to my local running club, first time, we went out and did fartlek training with a coach.
    I felt confident and really enjoyed it. 3.85 miles. It's exactly what I need at this stage. :-)

Ran 5km in 22:40. I was on course for a PB (< 22:06), but at around the 4km mark I ran out of steam which was disappointing.

• Advertisement

Achieved a new milestone, first time getting to 10miles :D

Did it in 1:25:50

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/5166597

Wasn't confident for the first few miles, I was aiming for around 8 mins/mile but doing around 8:17. The just after 6 miles I started getting shooting pains at the front of my left thigh (quadriceps I think) and almost gave up. Struggled on though and finished.

After spending most of May either sick or drinking (not related) I got back out on Saturday, did 5km in ~24 mins, then 5km on Sunday in ~23 mins. I've got my 10km race this weekend (Sunday) which I'm not looking forward to. I was hoping to do 45 mins or beat my PB (46:50) but that's looking unlikely. :mad:

Advertisement