Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UNIONS..... YAY! OR NAY!

Options
  • 21-04-2009 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭

I notice from other posts that people seem to have quite strong views on unions. Some people consider them to be outdated troublemakers stifling progress. Others consider them as protectors of the downtrodden workers. Now I would consider myself to be a non-practising union member. I pay my dues (just in case, they did save my bacon once ,when I was a wee bit inebriated) but don’t get involved in joining committees etc.
    Some of my friends and work colleagues have stronger union views. Also they consider that a lot of employed people that give out about unions do so with the luxury of legal protections in place (employment /labour laws). That they are protected by legislation that is there as a result of past union struggles involving previous generations.
    So are they considered a necessary evil?, a waste of space? or protectors of the weak?.
    What do you think?.Has a union ever done anything for you?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

the need for them has become deprieciated IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

this needs a poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Only if they're finely chopped up and well cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

javaboy wrote: »
    Only if they're finely chopped up and well cooked.

Red or white?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Red or white?

Unions are intrinsically red are they not?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

it's "yea or nay " ffs

and they can do good sometimes and be idiots other times judging by the union at our co

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

NAY TO UNIONS. I wonder how many firms wouldn't have failed except for unions and their ridiculous demands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

NAY

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

NAY to dinosaurs from the 70's

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

GHEY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

My own union did well with Joanna Delaney;
    On February 27th Joanne Delaney returned to work in the Ashleaf Dunnes Stores proudly wearing her union badge. Joanne's reinstatement was a huge victory following a very public campaign that was waged over the last month. More than just a personal victory for Joanne this campaign has made it clear that Dunnes managment and other companies cannot suceed in their attempts to single out and victimise individual trade union activists.

Over the last month members of Labour Youth supported by Labour councillors, T.D.s and members of the party, trade unionists and the wider Labour movement held protests outside Dunnes in Georges Street, North Earl Street, Grafton Street, the Ashleaf in Crumlin, Maynooth and Cork. Several other protests were been planned. Labour Youth members also supported the protests outside the Ashleaf in Crumlin called by the Joanne Delaney support group. Several motions were tabled on the issue in the House of Commons, Scottish parliament and in councils around Ireland.

Joanne has expressed her sincere thanks to all those who have supported the campaign.

The Mayor of Kildare Cllr. John McGinley joined a protest in support of Joanne Delaney on Wednesday evening February 27th which took place outside Dunnes Stores in the Manor Mills Shopping Centre. There was an excellent response from members of the public to the protest which was the latest in a number of protests around the country in support of Joanne who was sacked for wearing a union badge.

On February 16th a protest took place outside Dunnes stores in Patrick's street in Cork. There was a good turnout from Labour Youth members and local activists. The picket was also attended by Kathleen Lynch TD, Cllr. Ciaran Lynch, Cllr John Kelleher and Cllr. Cathrine Clancy. The media were down in force.

The night before on Wednesday February 15th about 30 people joined the Labour Youth protest outside Dunnes Stores in North Earl Street.

Joanne Delaney is a 22-year-old shop steward, a member of the Mandate trade union, and two months ago Dunnes fired her for wearing her union pin on her uniform. She is pictured above with Pat Rabbitte T.D., local councillor Cllr. Eric Byrne and Mary Upton T.D. outside the Ahsleaf Dunnes where she was sacked. On Monday February 27th following a very successful campaign with protests around the country Joanne returned to work wearing her union badge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

gtfo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

I work for a US corp. There is no Union, just HR???

Probably equally as useless IMHO, as friends have talked of switching from Union A to B, . . . then back to A. No difference, both useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Unions have done an awful lot for workers, so much that people turn their backs on them without realising the benefits they have now were won by unions.

Many of the railway lines we now travel on each day were put down in the ages of steam.

That mena we should stay on steam engines?

UNions provide a useful counterbalance, but we need to proote cooperation. WHere is the union support for enterprise? Why do unions provide no help to entrepreneurs who want to start things off on a good footing re: work practices?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I work for a US corp. There is no Union, just HR???

You think HR are equivalent to a union? HR depts are the complete opposite of a union, they are there to protect the companies interests when dealing with staff. I'm always amazed that people think a HR dept is neutral or are there to ensure fair treatment to their staff.

Unions are unwieldy beasts but are necessary now more than ever. Most of the basic protections that irish employees take for granted nowadays were won by unions and/or the EU, they were not handed over by employers willingly.

Many of the railway lines we now travel on each day were put down in the ages of steam.

That mena we should stay on steam engines?

It means that if you want to be treated the way railway workers were back then then you don't need unions

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I agree with Billy:

The Union forever,defending our rights
    Down with the blackleg,all workers unite
    With our brothers and our sisters from many far-off lands
    There is power in a Union

Now I long for the morning that they realise
    Brutality and unjust laws cannot defeat us
    But who'll defend the workers who cannot organise
    When the bosses send their lackeys out to cheat us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Facts:
    32% of Employed Irish are in a union
    1.4 million employed people not in a union. Has been falling consistently over past 20 years.
    60% of unionised people in Ireland are in the public service.

Unions are mostly there protecting people who have pretty much guaranteed jobs
    Unions will be decimated within 20 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Nay to IBEC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Some of the (classified) stories about Aer Lingus and the unions would make your eyeballs sweat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭TITAN #1

Maybe their jobs are guaranteed because the unions stood up for them?

I heard that quote about unions 20 years ago.

Facts:
    1.4 million employed people not in a union. Has been falling consistently over past 20 years.

True to a degree, IMO the govt got the unions on side by offering em a sweet share of the exchequer pie, the public sector unions get to ride the gravy train and fcek the rest of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

(just in case, they did save my bacon once ,when I was a wee bit inebriated)

So you were drunk in work, which is Gross Misconduct and warrants instant dismissal, but seen you were in a union (they got involved) your employer couldn't do anything. Hardly a good refection on unions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Facts:

60% of their members in the public sector?
    So most of their members are on somewhat decent money and most likely are good jobs across a wide spectrum. Some brilliant, some ok but most decent money.

So where are the unions for the workers that need them the most?
    The low waged staff working illegally long hours in hotels, restaurants, cleaning and other hard jobs.
    Sure a lot of posters here are/were students, most have done these ****ty jobs, I have anyway

Do unions activly recruit people from these sectors who are minimum wage at most? Doubt it

I would hope they are not sitting back lapping up fees from people in secure(ish) jobs but ignoring the people who do need union representation.
    Taking the easy option so to speak

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Senna wrote: »
    So you were drunk in work, which is Gross Misconduct and warrants instant dismissal, but seen you were in a union (they got involved) your employer couldn't do anything. Hardly a good refection on unions.
    There was a bit more to it than that, but Yep!,I think you hit the nail on the head there!.I like the cut of your jib straight to the point!.Good man yourself!.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I'd actually probably vote Labour, but I'm also a business student.

Not a fan of Unions, and for one main reason - Unions in theory exist to protect their workers. That's a very good thing in principle.

Obvious downside, a lot of unions are out to get their members a better deal, irrespective of fairness. Hence inefficiency comes in.

Unions were born in an era when we expected employers to brutalise and exploit their workers, such behaviour is just not going to happen in this modern day and age. As such, many of the unions have moved beyond their purpose, and right now, while doing their utmost to defend their members, which is laudable, their intransigence is potentially quite dangerous for the economy raise wages artificially and reduce efficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

mikemac wrote: »
    Do unions activly recruit people from these sectors who are minimum wage at most? Doubt it

From the info I gathered while looking into unions, Mandate do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

mikemac wrote: »
    60% of their members in the public sector?
    So most of their members are on somewhat decent money and most likely are good jobs across a wide spectrum. Some brilliant, some ok but most decent money.

So where are the unions for the workers that need them the most?
    The low waged staff working illegally long hours in hotels, restaurants, cleaning and other hard jobs.
    Sure a lot of posters here are/were students, most have done these ****ty jobs, I have anyway

I would hope they are not sitting back lapping up fees from people in secure(ish) jobs but ignoring the people who do need union representation.
    Taking the easy option so to speak

Many businesses won't let unions into their companies. People on minimum wage are easily displaced, if a hotel's staff decided to unionise they would be fired straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Employment law in this country is extremely good in protecting both employer and employee. There is no need for unions to have a foothold on our economy any more.

Advertisement