Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pergola

Options
  • 21-04-2009 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭

Hey, not sure if this belongs here or in the gardening section.

I'm getting my garden done in the next few days - I want to get a decked area with a pergola on top of it.

How hard would that be? Would the decking be strong enough to support a pergola?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Be better off digging holes for your posts and concreting them in,easily done when setting out the decking base

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭k123456

Im in the decking business, a deck would be strong enuf to support a pergola, assuming it's not massive, however : as said prev. posts for pergola need to secured in concrete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

aerosol wrote: »
    Be better off digging holes for your posts and concreting them in,easily done when setting out the decking base

The alternative is to cast some 6" wavin pipe as part of the foundation work for the deck and then u can cast the pergola poles afterwards

I would use some metal fixings at the bottom as I dont believe in leaving the bottoms of wooden poles cast in concrete, even pressure treated they dont last

Advertisement