Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat wanted

Options
  • 21-04-2009 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Hiya,

I live in Sligo and we have got two pet shops here but none of them are selling cats, so I was wondering does anyone know where I can get one near Sligo?

Thanks.

Janine

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Janine87 wrote: »
    two pet shops here but none of them are selling cats
    Thank dog for that!!

Is it a cat or a kitten you're looking for?

There's a cat needing a new home here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054958719&page=65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Go to the animals ireland website & look up kittens or cats in your area. Usually there are loads of kitty cats waiting on a good home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

There are kittens free to good home in sligo, I saw an ad on Donedeal.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Janine87

thanks for your help. I let you know how I am getting on! :) I would like to have a kitten I think.

OK I think I will take one of those kittens! :)
    They have to be injected. Does anyone know how much that will be approx?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Any decent rescue will have gotten the kittens injections already & will look for a donation to cover it. A lot less hassle for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Hi Janine87

In the first year, your kittens need to have their vaccinations -that's three sets of injections usually delivered at 8 weeks, 12 weeks and 16 weeks. Your vet will administer these.

Your kittens will also need to be neutered to avoid the risk of unwanted pregnancies in a female, or roaming and territorial behaviour in a tom, which could include spraying urine in and outside your house to scent mark territory.

Neutering is better done younger, because the recovery time is shorter. Neutering in males is a very simple procedure. In females it's a more complex internal surgery, and they will carry stitches for 10 days after the procedure. These stitches can then be removed by the vet after 10 days. By 'younger', I mean if you can find a vet that will neuter at 10 - 16 weeks, go fo it. Don't wait until six months of age - a healthy female cat can have a first litter at six months and if you're too late you'll have a bunch of kittens you have to rehome.

See if you can find a vet who will do the vaccinations and neutering as a package deal. Also see if they will microchip your cat. Microchipping your cat ensures that if it ever goes missing and is picked up by a pound, a chip reader will reveal that you're the owner and the cat will be returned to you instead of euthanised.

From the age of 6-8 weeks, worm your kitten once a month using an appropriate worm medication (get it through the vet) until they are six months old. After six months they can be wormed every three months, and this worming treatment should continue through their adult life, every three months.

Neutering reduces your cat's metabolism by up to 30%. It's really impossible to overfeed a young kitten, so you don't need to worry about that and can continue feeding them four times a day, but once they hit the six month mark, watch to ensure your cat isn't getting a low-slung gut - the lower belly fat pad is where initial weight is stored. If they're getting gutty, reduce the amount of food you provide.

As cotton says, if you can find a rescue kitten from a shelter who comes neutered and vaccinated in return for a donation, that will save you a lot of hassle and frankly a lot of money.

After the first set of three vaccination injections in the early months, cats are supposed to have an annual booster vaccination. Whether or not you opt to have this done depends on the kind of lifestyle your cat lives. If it's an outdoor cat, in a populated area with other cats, an annual booster is a good idea. If it's an indoor cat, you could probably reduce that to once every three years, or do away with it entirely. Keep in mind that if you go on holidays and want to leave your cats at a cattery, the cattery will require they have up to date vaccinations before taking them in.

This post was brought to you by the word 'vet' and the letters b-i-l-l and s. :D

Hey,

thank you very much for your help there! :) It really helped me a lot and I will take your advise. My cat at home was not that difficult. lol She got injections from the owner she had before and then only went to the vet with me fr neutering. That was basically it and she never went to the vet again. And shes absolutely fine and will be 12 years of age next month. I didnt worm her either and shes more of a outdoor cat and never had problems! :)

Anyways I will do the best for my new kitten and give it injections in the weeks its needed. I havent decided yet if itll be an outdoor or indoor cat. I think a bit of both as the estate I will live in is very quite and save for a cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Good on you, if you have a 12 year old cat you must be doing something right. Make sure she doesn't get majorly pissed off by the introduction of a new kitten!

Also, whatever you decide regarding vaccinations, I would push on the worming regime. Your cat can carry worms for a long time with little outward sign, except a poor coat condition - it's not all worms-in-the-poo and scooting their bottoms - those are the signs of a bad infestation. ALL kittens have worms (buy kitten, get intestinal parasites free!) so you WILL need to worm your kitten, and if your kitten is carrying worms they're easily transferrable to the cat.

Don't buy supermarket worm meds, because they just aren't as good as the ones you'll get from the vet. Let's put it this way - worming your cat won't harm it, so it can only do good. (Also, never, ever give a cat worm meds meant for a dog. You can kill them if you do.)

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

if you wanted a jet black female kitten i have 2 and i'm just down the road from you in ballaghaderreen :)

they're only tiny but will be ready to be rehomed in 4 weeks or so.

• Advertisement

Thanks!:) I love my 12 year old cat very much! And shes not even acting like a 12 year old. Its like shes still young you know! I treat her very well. Oh and dont worry about the be-pissed-off thing when I get the new kitten. My 12 year old cat is in my old home. She is with my mum ad takes care of her since about 2 years now. So the kitten will be in my new home. I will share the kitten with my boyfriend but I probably take more care of her than he does!:D I love cats a lot and would be lost without one.
    So I will take your adivse on buying worm medicine for my kitten. Ill go to the vet for the injection and buy it straight away.

Hey pink about your two kittens. I would love to have one but I agreed to one kitten in Sligo town already and I think my boyfriend wont be too happy about getting another kitten. We have got a hamster already! ;) But thanks for the offer anyway! :)

no bother... they're little cuties so i'm sure i'll have no bother finding them homes.

good luck with your new family member :)

PinkTulips wrote: »
    no bother... they're little cuties so i'm sure i'll have no bother finding them homes.

good luck with your new family member :)

Thats good. They deserve a good home! :)

Thanks I will! :)

PinkTulips wrote: »
    if you wanted a jet black female kitten i have 2 and i'm just down the road from you in ballaghaderreen :)

they're only tiny but will be ready to be rehomed in 4 weeks or so.

Oh you sexed them, good stuff!
    So do you have a black boy and a bi girl?

I was going to say in this thread that you had kittens but didn't think it was my place....

there's 5 altogether... 2 black females, 1 black male and 2 b&w males but i'm counting the 2 your lady is interested in and the other b&w as taken as there's been interest in them and i don't want fighting to ensue ;)

just the 2 black females hopefully that need homes now.

meant to PM you, i haven't forgotton about those pics, heading to my dad's shop tomorrow or sunday to upload them from the camera and will email them to you then so the lady can pick which of the b&w she'd like... although if his name is going to be sylvester i have my suspicians which one she'll choose :D

Brilliant!
    Thank you PinkTulips :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 catussa

Hi all

if somebody is interesting in homing kittens/cats, I know somebody that cares for homeless cats and helps to home them, Dublin Area. If you are interested PM me :)

Hiya,

after I got my kitten which I am very happy with I want to get a new. My boyfriends mum loves him so much and I think a kitten for her would be the perfect present. So does anyone know if I can get any kitten in the Sligo area?

Janine

Advertisement