Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfboard advice for a 6' 3' and 100kg's man

Options
  • 21-04-2009 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi I'm considering buying a the Bic Natural Surf 7'9" surfboard and am wondering if it'll be any good to leanr on. I'm 6'3" and I weigh 100kg's. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

no i think eitrher board is too small for you. Im 85kg and a 7*3 was on the small sided for me. 7*9 might be ok but You should really be looking at the bic 8*4 or 9-10 foot long boards. I went from a 7*3, 7*9 to a 6*10 (mistake) and recently got a 9 Ft bic ecomp and am loving it

the bigger board the better, you'l catch more waves and learn much much quicker, after that you can look at getting a short(er) board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭smythire

how are ya!! am also 100kg and 6'3..i'm surfing a 7'6 with a bit of float. but i went from a 9'2 which was great for building my self worth of the waves, easy to catch waves and to pop up etc..then i moved down to a 7'2 which was a lot move work with much less sucess...i have tried a number of different boards when renting boards on hoilday in france, 7'6 is the magic number for my buildat the monent..until i can shift somemore weight and bulid my paddle power and develop my surf skills....come the swell, comeit the surf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

get a longboard. read this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055522545

if you are 100kg and in pretty good shape and fit maybe consider something around 8' but you will be riding waves a lot sooner on a 9'+

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Donal94

Thanks a lot for the replies.
    I'm in pretty good shape and am reasonably athlethic just big boned hence the 100 kg's! I've spoken to a few people in surf shops who advised to go with either a 7" 9' or 8" 4' bic. They said the smaller would be better long term. I suppose I'll just have to bite the bullet and make a decision as I'm getting varying opinions. Will the smaller bic float me ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Donal94 wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for the replies.
    I'm in pretty good shape and am reasonably athlethic just big boned hence the 100 kg's! I've spoken to a few people in surf shops who advised to go with either a 7" 9' or 8" 4' bic. They said the smaller would be better long term. I suppose I'll just have to bite the bullet and make a decision as I'm getting varying opinions. Will the smaller bic float me ok?

I'd question that advice....
    Maybe they have a lot of 7'9"'s in stock....?

If you are 6'3" i would advise at a minimum go with at least an 8'4" - 9'6" ish size board. Everyone has different levels of flexibility and balance, so a rule of thumb is to go with a larger board. The larger the board, the more buoyancy (you also need to consider the width and thickness!!), the more buoyancy, the easier it is to paddle and build up speed. This allows you to get into a wave earlier, and you will learn far quicker.

I don't know what the guy in the shops logic was behind the 7'9"? I'm surfing about 4-5 years and surf a range of sizes, from 6ft - 9ft. But I know I wouldn't be at the level I'm at now if it wasn't for starting on an 8ft. (i'm 5'10" - weight @76kg)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I found a huge difference between a 7ft 3 BIC and a 10ft. I'm about 6ft 1, 13 stone, and noticed the difference straight off when I moved up to the 10ft. Because I was nearly there with the 7ft 3, I pretty much stood up straight away on the 10ft. it was a nightmare to carry around. I missed a good few months over the winter not being at the sea at all, so messed around in January on a 9ft softie, then on a 7ft shortboard. Nightmare on the 7ft!! Currently got a 7ft 2, which I havent taken out yet. I envisage many frustrating days ahead. I was going to play safe and get an 8 footer, but I thought "feck it, lets get stuck into it". Maybe I should have tried to pick up another 7ft 3 mal....I'll soon find out...

I find once you get your pop up technique right, it's half the battle, but go for as big as you can manage, and you'll enjoy it more starting off...

Isn't the rule of thumb to get something at least a foot taller than you..?

Thanks a lot for all the replies I think I'm gonna go for the Bic 8" 4'. Hopefully that'll be big enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

good choice

Thanks I was looking at it in 53 degrees north the other day and they are looking for silly money for it its almost half the price online!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭smythire

a wize move 8'4

• Advertisement
Advertisement