Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinea pig care for the season

Options
  • 21-04-2009 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Just some tips for guinea pig owners for the summer.

If your pigs have been indoors for winter, gradually hand pick grass to get their stomachs used to it again over the next few weeks especially if you plan to put them outside for the summer.

The best time to start putting them out (starting off for a couple of hours at a time) is May when the weathers warmed up a bit more.

Keep them in a shaded spot with blue tarp ( the type used to cover cars) which is very handy it can be draped over the hutch and/or the run area to keep the wind and rain off and also handy in summer if it gets too hot will keep the area cool.

Be careful of any grass or plants or garden veggies that they haven't been treated with any chemicals or pesticides, and they haven't been soiled by dogs/cats if unsure don't use it.
    If unsure what plants are not safe then don't feed and check that the area you're pigs are grazing in doesn't have any toxic plants in it.

The easiest to identify is dandelions and these are fine for pigs to eat (fine for rabbits and budges/tiels as well).

Great time of year to start saving money buy growing herbs from seed to be used as a treat. Herbs are high in vitamins and goodness but do use in moderation and as a treat. Safe herbs to grow for your guinea pigs are oregano, thyme, basil, don't go too mad on parsley. Nasturtium leaves and flowers are popular with some guineas as well. Towards the end of the summer you can also have a go at picking all the excess herbs and drying them in the oven (some ovens even have a setting specifically for drying herbs) and keep them for those miserable winter days when there's nothing nice from the garden to eat. Plus you will know exactly where the herbs came from and you can grow them organicly which is so much better for your piggies.

Also remember to keep outdoor runs secure, wire must be used on the bottom no matter how safe the garden is they can rest their feet in the attached shelter/hutch and you can also place planks of wood on top if you like. I have never had any problems with guinea pigs feet when they walk on aviary type wire as they have plenty of places to rest their feet.
    The grass underneath the wire helps to cushion it as well.

If you want to go all out plant yourself some carrots, brocolli (grows all year round and easy to grow) and if feeling really ambitious cucumber your piggies will love the freshly grown organic veggies so much more than the supermarket stuff.

Also be aware of toxic plants like rhubarb never feed rhubarb or it's leaves or pennyroyal mint as it's toxic to pigs. If in doubt, as said, don't feed a food you are not sure of.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 drifty

thank you very much for this GPR, my piggies love parsley and would easily eat loads if I let them! I didn't know about a bit of basil too I must see if they like it. They are indoor piggies who love dandelions and grass so its getting to a good time of year for them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Guinepigs love dandelion leaves!

I have never used wire on the bottom of my GP's run. If in doubt make sure the ground it is on is flat. Guinepigs don't dig like rabbits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Piggies don't dig but other animals dig in to get at the piggies.
    E.g. One person with some guineas in their garden, neighbours dog gets into their garden and tears open the run and the poor piggies as well..not a pretty sight.

Some people don't even put wire on the top of the cage because pigs can't jump like rabbits (even if they could they'd be too lazy to lol) but cats and even birds of prey can pop down into it. We've had birds hovering over our garden and there are foxes and dogs around so have always wired the whole lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I never had that problem as my pigs run was moved daily. It also had wiring on the top and a few bricks to weigh it down. If a dog can break wiring and get through it then it is not worth the money paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 gone2themoon

I had Guinnea Pig once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ashlingm

Thanks for the info OP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

lol

Advertisement