Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drawing Class in Dublin anyone?

Options
  • 21-04-2009 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Looking for an Art class for my child (nearly 12 years old). Seems to have a real talent, but so far my searches just seem to be finding Arts & Crafts stuff (generally with more of a slant towards Crafts). Other searches seem to net me classes for adults. So here's my question, does anyone know of classes to develop the art side of things (drawing, charcoal, painting etc) in North County Dublin or Dublin City Centre?

All advice appreciated :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,265 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Looking for an Art class for my child (nearly 12 years old). Seems to have a real talent, but so far my searches just seem to be finding Arts & Crafts stuff (generally with more of a slant towards Crafts). Other searches seem to net me classes for adults. So here's my question, does anyone know of classes to develop the art side of things (drawing, charcoal, painting etc) in North County Dublin or Dublin City Centre?

All advice appreciated :rolleyes:

If she's 12 then she'll be going into secondary school soon so she'll get something there. A good teacher will be able to help her develope. Might be an idea to talk to her school or what ever school she'll be attending and ask them for help.

Unfortunately, the only solid info I have is over the Southside.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 makemineabud

Thanks, but senior school is another year off. The teacher reckons I should be looking to access classes now before this talent wanes at all. Will keep looking/asking/tearing my hair out ..........

• Registered Users Posts: 33,265 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Thanks, but senior school is another year off. The teacher reckons I should be looking to access classes now before this talent wanes at all. Will keep looking/asking/tearing my hair out ..........

Talent doesn't really wane. There's a much greater fear of her intrerest waneing than her talent. If all you can do is keep encouraging her, than that's still a big help.

Find out what sort of art she likes, what sort of things she likes to draw and what inspires her, and try and find stuff you think she's like

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Hi,

I did a quick search and found this http://www.artzone.ie/classes/classes.php

They might still have places or they may know of other classes on in the area. Have a look out in your local library and shopping centre notice boards for art classes, especially as it's coming into the summer.

I'm almost certain the lady behind Tina Mation used to run art classes in Swords (although that was quite a few years ago) but there's an email address on her page so maybe send her a mail and she might be able to help out??

http://www.captaindraw.com/first.html

Thanks for that Larianne! Artzone is good, don't get me wrong, but there seems to be more of an emphasis on the craft side of things where as I'm looking for something really on the art/drawing/charcoal/pastels/painting etc. side of things. will try the other email though and let you know what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Keep an eye out on the different art festivals taking place during the summer. I know the Kilkenny arts festival has a whole section of kids activities and workshops, could make for a nice day trip. I know I'll be doing comics, printmaking and illustration workshops for kids via the Blackbird Art lab in Kilkenny during the summer so if there's stuff happening here there should be stuff in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I was going by the Santry Community/resource Centre, I think that's what it's called. It's the new building on the corner junction across from the tyre place.. if that makes sense. Anyway they are advertising on a banner children's art classes, morning and evening. That's all I saw. So if you're passing by Santry have a look. If I get a chance to right down the details when passing again I will. (I was on the bus!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Womble25

Its on the southside but not too far from city centre (close to Grand Canal Dock DART station) the National Print Museum has a one-off illustration workshop for young people (10-15 years old) this coming Sunday with P.J. Lynch, if your child is into his work (it is amazing) and the art of illustration then it might be worth a look. Check out his website: www.pjlynchgallery.com for a look at his style. The NPM workshop email address is printmuseumedu@iol.ie and the workshop costs around €20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 derek finn

hi, Im an artist,on the northside of Dublin, and if you are still looking for art classes please dont hesitate in contacting me, and I will forward you details of my classes,
    regards Derek.

Definitely still interested Derek. Have pm'd you for more details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 minefield

derek finn wrote: »
    hi, Im an artist,on the northside of Dublin, and if you are still looking for art classes please dont hesitate in contacting me, and I will forward you details of my classes,
    regards Derek.

Hi Derek, am just enquiring if you do DRAWING CLASSES? My 20 year
    old daughter is looking for some classes, she is an amateur.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

minefield wrote: »
    Hi Derek, am just enquiring if you do DRAWING CLASSES? My 20 year
    old daughter is looking for some classes, she is an amateur.

Thanks

I'd say you'd be best to send Derek a Private Message to be sure he sees your request. Just in case!!

Cork_girl wrote: »
    I'd say you'd be best to send Derek a Private Message to be sure he sees your request. Just in case!!

Thank you for that bit of advice, I appreciate it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 derek finn

Cork_girl wrote: »

Hi therese,Ive cant seem to send you a private message with my details

Hi Derek, thanks for your reply.

Dont understand why you cant get through with
    a private message :confused:

This is my email

<snip>
    personal email addresses are not allowed I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mushroom23

There is a children's art school in Dublin 6 called ClassArt. They do a lot of painting and drawing activities for children of all ages.

http://www.classart.ie

Advertisement