Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City/County Planners - Where is my local Park?

Options
  • 21-04-2009 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Where I live in Raheen/Dooradoyle the builders are only just winding up operations after a few decades of reckless development with an eye only to ludicrous profits.

As they got greedier and people got more and more stupid the houses got progressively smaller and the gardens followed suit until there were none at all....

Now the area consists of Millions of crappy little Semi-Detacheds, hundreds and thousands of tiny Townhouses, which are smaller still, a plethora of shoebox Apartments with paper-thin walls and not a Garden in sight.....

Now I assume the City/County Planning Officials noticed some of this was going on.... I'm sure they spotted the odd JCB or Cement Truck here and there. But what infrastructural changes or additions did they ever make? As far as I can see the only addition arrived ~20 years late with the inclusion of a couple of extra bus stop signs - I say bus stop signs specifically as it should be noted they didn't seem to see the need to include an actual Bus Stop Shelter in a Country where it rains 359 days a year :confused: Genius stuff......

Any back to my original question - Where is my local park? I'll tell you; its the Peoples Park in Limerick - opened in 1877..... And I use the term "local" very loosely as its not exactly a pleasant stroll away...... FFS

1877? but that was a full 132 years ago - you can't criticise the Limerick Planning Officials here can you? Yeah you can - in an utterly unbelievable act of ignorance the Gobshítes allowed some sick cynic to build ugly tenement Apartments and Commercial units in this same public amenity a couple of years back....

How about giving them a new slogan? Limerick City Planners - A Global Leader in Bulldozing Parkland for Profits

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,789 ✭✭✭✭phog

Raiser wrote: »
    Where I live in Raheen/Dooradoyle the builders are only just winding up operations after a few decades of reckless development with an eye only to ludicrous profits.

As they got greedier and people got more and more stupid the houses got progressively smaller and the gardens followed suit until there were none at all....

Now the area consists of Millions of crappy little Semi-Detacheds, hundreds and thousands of tiny Townhouses, which are smaller still, a plethora of shoebox Apartments with paper-thin walls and not a Garden in sight.....

Now I assume the City/County Planning Officials noticed some of this was going on.... I'm sure they spotted the odd JCB or Cement Truck here and there. But what infrastructural changes or additions did they ever make? As far as I can see the only addition arrived ~20 years late with the inclusion of a couple of extra bus stop signs - I say bus stop signs specifically as it should be noted they didn't seem to see the need to include an actual Bus Stop Shelter in a Country where it rains 359 days a year :confused: Genius stuff......

Any back to my original question - Where is my local park? I'll tell you; its the Peoples Park in Limerick - opened in 1877..... And I use the term "local" very loosely as its not exactly a pleasant stroll away...... FFS

1877? but that was a full 132 years ago - you can't criticise the Limerick Planning Officials here can you? Yeah you can - in an utterly unbelievable act of ignorance the Gobshítes allowed some sick cynic to build ugly tenement Apartments and Commercial units in this same public amenity a couple of years back....
    How about giving them a new slogan? Limerick City Planners - A Global Leader in Bulldozing Parkland for Profits

Did they build the appartments in the park or property near the park, I thought is was on land owned by the city council but not actual park property.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

phog wrote: »
    Did they build the appartments in the park or property near the park, I thought is was on land owned by the city council but not actual park property.

Hard to believe isn't it? Apparently the Pictorial editions of the Oxford Dictionary have a perfect little illustration of these same Apartments beside the words, ridiculous, ignorant, bribery, profiteering, smalltime, backwards, cronyism, corruption, whoreocrat, disrepect and retro-planning.

- If they are allowed to continue as is then by 2109 they'll have Marks and Spencers Irish Headquarters in there......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People%27s_Park_(Limerick) Link is acting up......(?) Follow the search and you get the below.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Apartment Scandal

In late 2004, planning permission was given by Limerick City Council for the construction of two apartment blocks on the site of the People's Park. Even after much uproar, the apartments continued to be built.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

How Not To Plan A City - Limerick

By Raiser

I do see where you're coming from though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I thought they were due to build a Park close to where Russell's Bar is, the land
    behind it or to the left of it......but...no more houses went up.

There used to be a playground in Raheen with swings, a roundabout, a slide,
    bigger swings for older kids, and parallel bars. This would have been in the
    80's-very early 90's . Its gone now, and nothing was ever done to replace it.

The Bus stops in the Raheen/Dooradoyle area keep getting their glass smashed
    on an ongoing basis which is disgraceful, I reckon they should go back to the days
    of having a Metal backs to the shelters. I dont know if this is stupid teenagers,
    or people drunk coming out of the pubs at night.

It would be nice to have something like a Park or somewhere people could go
    that did not cost Money. Nothing much to do locally, Myself and the Girlfriend
    resorted to actually going up to one or two events in south court like the magic show,
    and holistic fair, antiques fair and rug sale, we felt like miserable old people
    and thought is this all there is to do out this direction besides walking or going to the pub or shopping center.

~B

• Advertisement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People%27s_Park_(Limerick) Link is acting up......(?) Follow the search and you get the below.

wikipedia...the foundation of all truth.

BTW, take a walk in the park and the bounds certainly look like the original bounds and the appartments don't seem to have encroached on the Park. I think the appartments were built on what was generally seen as waste ground.

wikipedia...the foundation of all truth.

There's a certain arrogance in taking stated events and disregarding them on the basis of your own mysterious and unstated criteria. Would you not have had a brief look before contradicting something that was presented to you in good faith?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0203/limerick.html

The Pery family themselves expressed disappointment that land that was entrusted to the City Council for the use and enjoyment of Limerick people both now and for generations to come was sold to w@nker developers to build Apartments and retail units.

- I believe that apart from the obvious ethical issues and all-round disgust involved in building on a Public Park ie. depriving all while benefiting none [or one :rolleyes:]; most people realised that we had no shortage of eyesore flats or grubby shops selling overpriced shíte to the unsuspecting public.
    BTW, take a walk in the park and the bounds certainly look like the original bounds and the appartments don't seem to have encroached on the Park. I think the appartments were built on what was generally seen as waste ground.

I took the same walk as you actually; I know this as a certainty given that the area in question is compact and there is no room for mistake.... How you managed to deduce that the wheelie bins, apartment rear access doors, wrought iron balconies hung with jocks and socks resembled the boundary of a park circa 1877 is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

The council have done as much damage to this city as the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

RonMexico wrote: »
    The council have done as much damage to this city as the others.
    could be easily argued the council are entirely to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

The appartments in Edward street were built on publicly owned land. It was not owned by the council and should never have been built on. What isnt widely known is that alot of them were purchased afterwards by the council to house people vacated from the various Flats in careys rd, hyde road, and bourke avenue...a total disgrace and their way of keeping us quiet, open a new gate beside mallow street....which is nice but that cost an absolute packet...

Their should be a park somewhere in raheen and it is disgraceful that with all the houses their has been nothing done, but hopefully in time when the new road is opened and the landbanks become available they will serve the fine people of dooradoyle and raheen with some amenitys in similar fashion to the newly established park in annacotty and excellently refurbished park on the shelbourne road.

• Advertisement

There's a certain arrogance in taking stated events and disregarding them on the basis of your own mysterious and unstated criteria. Would you not have had a brief look before contradicting something that was presented to you in good faith?

The Pery family themselves expressed disappointment that land that was entrusted to the City Council for the use and enjoyment of Limerick people both now and for generations to come was sold to w@nker developers to build Apartments and retail units.

- I believe that apart from the obvious ethical issues and all-round disgust involved in building on a Public Park ie. depriving all while benefiting none [or one :rolleyes:]; most people realised that we had no shortage of eyesore flats or grubby shops selling overpriced shíte to the unsuspecting public.

I took the same walk as you actually; I know this as a certainty given that the area in question is compact and there is no room for mistake.... How you managed to deduce that the wheelie bins, apartment rear access doors, wrought iron balconies hung with jocks and socks resembled the boundary of a park circa 1877 is beyond me.

I have no mysterious or unstated criteria other than I know that the appartments weren't build on the land that was parkland. The bounds that I refer to are the same as that were there in the late 80's at least, I know this because I used to map it for treasure hunts.

I have no mysterious or unstated criteria other than I know that the appartments weren't build on the land that was parkland. The bounds that I refer to are the same as that were there in the late 80's at least, I know this because I used to map it for treasure hunts.

The Retail units and Apartments are modern buildings but they are not levitating.......

They are built on land kindly donated by the Pery family to the people of Limerick. On this land there should be kids making daisy chains and playing close games of rugby, hurling and soccer..... Instead you have overweight yuppies throwing parties for their kindred twat friends while paying rent to the man that bought the bureaucrat.

You "used to map it for treasure hunts?" - I'm not willing to accept that statement as proof of anything other than your eccentricity.

There is 2 apparment blocks here, the first was built on parkland as its where the corporation used to store park equipment etc, the second building is where a large open area donated to the city by the pery family. It was not owned by the council it was owned by the people of Limerick. The council stated they didnt need the land for their equipment so they sold it, they then rented 2 large cabins and stored stuff there until the first apartment block was built, they now rent a basement at the back of the buildiing for their storage ....

I know as I live rite alongside have done for the last 20 yrs and Its a complete eyesore...it should have been given back to the people for recreational uses if the council didnt need it. The appartments suffer terrible with leaks...especially the newer building...the developer of which went from there to thomand park...and really should hold his head up in shame

I will state this as a fact.

Rehouse.

Bulldoze.

Re-plant flowers, trees etc.

Fact.

Prosecutions should follow ideally.

Totally agree with you...Park view is ruined by those eyesores....the buildings are already starting to degrade, give them another few yrs and it will be only worse..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Raheen resident also.

Dont think Raheen ever had a playground, the only one i can think of is the one close to St.Pauls N.S. in Dooradoyle.

What Raheen does have is plenty of greenspace! So i dont understand why the OP cant enjoy this?

Get a football or rugby ball, throw, kick them around. Sit on the grass, when its dry haha.

One suggestion would probably be for vartry field, its the perfect place to have a park on the southside. And could even rival the new park in Castletroy, people i know from Raheen/Dooradoyle bring their kids out there!

When the local politicians come around, thats what i am going to ask them, get a park sorted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Developes will build where there is a market. You cannot blame developes for builing small crappy houses that the good people of Limerick freely and willingly bought up. If everyone had stood together years ago and said we want proper wall, we want gardens, we want 3 decent bedrooms etc that is what would have been built. As in any business, where there is demand someone will supply. If that demand is for cheap crappy houses somone will, and did, provide them. Don't blame the developers - blame those who paid good money for sh*te.

I am in the process of buying in limerick and I cannot find many good properties - it is going to be a long process. But I am willing to wait to find somewhere good ad will not be spending my money on small crappy sh*te

I will state this as a fact.

Rehouse.

Bulldoze.

Re-plant flowers, trees etc.

Fact.

Prosecutions should follow ideally.

Stating something as a fact doesn't make it a fact. I know what I know and you know what you want to know, end of.

BTW, call me all the names you like if it help you though the day.:D

Stating something as a fact doesn't make it a fact. I know what I know and you know what you want to know, end of.

BTW, call me all the names you like if it help you though the day.:D

Yeah its pretty clear I've been systematically and unashamedly bullying you Phog :rolleyes:

- I like the suggestion of putting it to each and every canvasser that calls to our front doors.... "Where's my local park you useless, posturing, lying, self-serving sack of shíte....."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I often go to the Park in the summer time and it is reputed to be one of the best parks in Ireland.
    One major dis-advantage of the apartments is that the tenannt often open their balcony doors and play very loud music while admiring the view of us folk chilling out on the grass. we then have to leave as I can't stand some of the music being played.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Would I be right in saying that nothing ever came of this investigation?

Would I be right in saying that nothing ever came of this investigation?

In my opinion Dick Roche has never successfully finished anything - If he sat down to take a shít he'd leave 45 minutes later with a new tail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Raiser wrote:
    Raiser wrote:
    I'll tell you; its the Peoples Park in Limerick - opened in 1877..... And I use the term "local" very loosely as its not exactly a pleasant stroll away...... FFS

There are many more Parks in Limerick city. Walk out around the city and you will find and seek.
    O'Brien Park on the dublin road, (reopen 2002),
    Shelbourne Park reopen last month on the Shelbourne Road between Hassett's Cross (Cratloe Road Junction) and Union Cross (Ennis Road Junction)
    Mayorstone Park under development.
    Russell Park is located between the North Circular Road and Condell Road.
    Arthur's Quay Park is situated in Limerick City Centre, opposite the Arthur's Quay Shopping Centre and on the banks of the River Shannon.
    Curragour Park is situated across the River Shannon from Arthur's Quay Park.
    The Custom House Park is a small park located behind the Hunt Museum.
    http://www.limerick.ie/Environment/ParksandOpenSpaces/

Raheen/Dooradoyle is run by the Limerick County Council not city council. by the way the City Council would love to have Raheen and dooradoyle as part of the city.
    Raiser wrote:
    Any back to my original question - Where is my local park?
    So you nearest park in county limerick is in Castletroy.

There was suppose to be a park in built in Ballykeefe for Raheen and Dooradoyle. With our deep recession, that is on permanent back burner along with their grass cutting severely cut back from 32 times a year to probally 1 or two this year. I have yet to see the council cut any grass this year.

Here is a list of official list of parks in Limerick County Council jurisdiction.
    http://www.lcc.ie/Environment/Horticulture/Horticulture.htm.

Castletroy park (17 acres -opposite Castletroy College) opened last year is missing from the List.
    http://www.prlog.org/10108020-major-new-public-park-opens-in-limerick.html
    http://www.limerickindependent.com/local-news/local-news/new-park-is-a-major-asset-for-castletroy/

If you need the Park, Good News there are Local elections coming up, tell them you want the park now or else you request you want to join the city in their boundary extention request!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Also OP, Limerick county Council maintain two large Green grounds, one is between Vartry Avenue/Close and Ashling Heights. Part of it can be wet during wet spells.
    Best access to this green space from the Mulcair Road on vartry close near the Owenmore road (Opposite direction).

Second green space is off Raheen Gardens which is behind Raheen Foodstore) It is on High ground and is therefore dry most of the year.

Both green spaces are used oftens by Soccer Clubs and athelics sports groups.

Also be aware many dog owners let their dogs loose and lots of dog foul around the greens.

For long Walks/jogs, most people Walk the ring around Raheen/Dooradoyle,

Nessan Road / Russell road -R510 Ring walk 20mins

Nessan Road / Dooradoyle Road / Mulcair Road or Glencairn / Church Road/Ballycummin Road Ring 30-40mins

or use combination of both ring walks.

Evening Walking traffic is worst than Car traffic these days :eek:.

Raheen resident also.

Dont think Raheen ever had a playground, the only one i can think of is the one close to St.Pauls N.S. in Dooradoyle.

Raheen/Doodadoyle area had 2 playgrounds.
    (If you could even call them that)

If you go in the main entrance to Raheen (oppisate Meadowvale) take the first right turn, go halfway up the hill, then take the first left it will bring you onto the area where the playground used to be. There was 2 sets of swings, a roundabout, a slide and parallell bars.

The other playground which I think was older...was
    near St. Pauls school, if you go past the school there was
    some green area where I distintly remember a slide and
    some other playground things. I'm not sure if my memory is
    faulty but I keep thinking there was a sandpit play
    area (but am unsure)

I've attached google earth kmz links at almost the
    exact locations of where they used to be.

~B

Funny.......just as I was bitchin about no park,
    This arrived in my front door a few mins ago:

Good news :D

park.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

bullets wrote: »
    Raheen/Doodadoyle area had 2 playgrounds.
    (If you could even call them that)

If you go in the main entrance to Raheen (oppisate Meadowvale) take the first right turn, go halfway up the hill, then take the first left it will bring you onto the area where the playground used to be. There was 2 sets of swings, a roundabout, a slide and parallell bars.

The other playground which I think was older...was
    near St. Pauls school, if you go past the school there was
    some green area where I distintly remember a slide and
    some other playground things. I'm not sure if my memory is
    faulty but I keep thinking there was a sandpit play
    area (but am unsure)

I've attached google earth kmz links at almost the
    exact locations of where they used to be.

~B

yes buddy you are right there was a playground at both these locations and in the one at the top of raheen there was also a basketball court..

and the sandbox!! remember it well!! what a joke.. although the big dome thing you could swing out of was very handy as our hang-out (excuse the pun!!) when we were kids..

speaking of basketball courts does anyone know of any decent outdoor courts in the city?? nearest decent one i know of is in tipp town and its very good..

as for the ballykeefe park that sign has been up a couple months now between the mungret cement roundabout and the small roundabout behind russells bar.. completed by end of 2010 thats another joke.. takes em 6 months to put up 1000 houses!!

its a joke if you go to any other densily populated places anywhere they are required to have a public space per amount of residents..

as usual the norm does not apply in limerick..

lol. seems a bit of investigation would have saved the bother of this whole thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

zuroph wrote: »
    lol. seems a bit of investigation would have saved the bother of this whole thread.

true but we can still debate the ideas for the park itself??

• Advertisement

nope. locked. :p

Advertisement