Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atari 2600 Jr.

Options
  • 21-04-2009 2:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭

I remember getting one of these. I think it was for my birthday when I was a kid.

Were these as good as I remember or not ? 50 odd games on one cartridge . One little paddle/joystick with a single button. Very basic games too. I remember some one where you had to run across a motorway of cars without getting splatted!!

08ebf11519586db9651213191d3e87bd_thumb.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,587 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    I remember some one where you had to run across a motorway of cars without getting splatted!!

Frogger?

Had a woody 2600 years ago. Have wanted to get one again for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭mrpants

i still have my 2600, i havent used it in about 20years but still have it, the only prob with it is the power supply but thats easy sorted, i must get that fixed and let you know if its as good as you remember.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've got a couple, I've a TEXTET, oh yes a budget brand of yesteryear, a terrible 2600 clone, made by a guy who never heard of curves or smooth edges and did all his designs with a ruler, coloured in a paticular grey I like to call "despair grey" and has a bunch of crap clone games built in, it's only redeeming feature is it takes proper 2600 games too, also the switches are from a bargain bin and the less said about the controllers the better.

I also have a heavy sixer, that's a woodgrain covered six switch 2600, bootiful.
    And I have a "Vader", which is an all black 4 switch 2600 that Atari made here in Ireland, it's also becoming quite rare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I used to have a Vader but it died, very sad. Still have a couple of Jrs and a Woody and an Atari 7800. Few joysticks, couple of paddles, virtually useless number pads and other stuff I am not allowed to play with very often!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I had a 2600 but pretty sure it was made from timber and had a pile of broken levers on it that did... nothing.

Had pac man and centipede!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Did anyone see this Atari pack (in a big red box) that's being sold now ?
    It's only got about 10games and looks awful :(

No frogger.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Crowman

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    And I have a "Vader", which is an all black 4 switch 2600 that Atari made here in Ireland, it's also becoming quite rare.

Are you sure the Vadar was made in Ireland Ciderman?
    I thought it was only the Junior 'Black' that was made in Ireland?

http://www.benwaysworld.co.uk/computersnconsoles/Atari2600VCS.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No, I have a Vader and it quite clearly says, on the back, that it is made in Ireland.
    Googled it too, and found this,
    http://www.deadpc.net/html/2600__darth_vader_.html

So, there you go.

As said before, I'd be happy to trade it for an Atari Pong or Super Pong console.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stone roses

hi ive got a atari jr mint in box,atari manuals, 4 boxed games, two joysticks, inserts,
    also a boxed 2600 1977 mint in box,ping pong joysticks,atari manuals space invaders manuals, and games, these are becoming a little rare in there old age and a real joy to own i must say!!!! never say never but i cant see myself letting these go,
    money is common these vintage classics are not(in mint condition)
    atari rules!!!!

cheers!!

I have the PS2 Atari compilation of games. It's got dozens of games but I don't really remember any of them being ont he 52 game cartridge I got with my Atari 2600 Jr.

• Advertisement

I've got that collection too, it's quite nice.
    There are a few really good retro collections, although recent Namco compilations have been sh1t, only the series on the PS1, N,A,M,C,O,. were any good.
    I also have the excellent Capcom collection on the PS1, it's over 4 disks, very nice indeed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Did anyone see this Atari pack (in a big red box) that's being sold now ?
    It's only got about 10games and looks awful :(

No frogger.

Would that be the Atari Flashback? http://www.t3.com/images/variants/Atari%20Flashback_w300.jpg

Was going to get one myself, but the lovely folk of Boards informed me that they weren't that good at all. I want to get a 7800, but just wondering, I know it's compatible with 2600 games, but is it compatible with 5200 games?

It is awful, not as good as the one built into an atari joystick. They made the reed boxed one to look like a 7800 and it sucks.
    Don't believe 5200 games work on the 7800 but don't have any to test that out, sure there's loads of Atari resources online to answer that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

As far as I can remember (I was about 7 years old at the time) the 52 in 1 cartridge was pretty ****.

In fact, the vast majority of 2600 games were bloody awful. I got a 2600 after our C64 broke and I really wasn't very happy with it.

As far as I can remember (I was about 7 years old at the time) the 52 in 1 cartridge was pretty ****.

In fact, the vast majority of 2600 games were bloody awful. I got a 2600 after our C64 broke and I really wasn't very happy with it.

Maybe I should confess right now. I'm not into retro, I'm into nostalgia :o
    Sorry, shall I get me coat ?...........

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I remember some one where you had to run across a motorway of cars without getting splatted!!
    QUOTE]

I never had an Atari, however I did have a spectrum 48K+ c/w Horace goes skiing, sounds like a similar game.

I'm on the look out for an Atari at the moment, I'll let you guys know if it get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

My 1st Post on here, i have been reading about Mame and such all week as building my own cocktail cab.

Anyways I had a 2600 as a kid after i sold C64.
    I will always remember how the RICH people in village had a 7800,
    but all rest of us had 2600, Those were the Days.... :)

Anyways I remember back then their 7800 would play 2600 games with a bother.

I Actually Have a 7800 now myself I got off ebay
    with about 20 Games, its all fully boxed, as are the Games, pretty sweet looking machine.

All working fine. Cool bit of History to have.

Centipede 2600 Cart will forever be the must addictive of the lot,
    especially as I actually remember my mother getting hooked on it,
    of all people, she can barely use a mobile fone.

And the Old Atari 2600 Controller give anyone Blisters ...!!! ;)

Advertisement