If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

40" TV & home cinema- recommendations?

Options
  • 20-04-2009 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

looking to deck out my movie room with a min. 40" tv & home cinema system.

Budget's only about €1100, can go 10% more at a push.

A 40 or 42" tv, 1080P

Home cinema -Would prefer tallboy speakers & system must be able to broadcast sky in surround sound as well as DVD's, CD's etc. Upscaling to 1080P required.

I've no real strong preferences on brand. Philips have never let me down, reliable but bland maybe, but anything considered.

What's the best package for my budget just now? thanks

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi Big B and thanks for the mail,

We have the brand new Philips 42PFL5604H 42" coming in within the next few days which is full 1080p and also incorporates an MPEG decoder which will be great for the new boxer TV service soon to be launched :mad::mad::mad:

This unit retails at Euro €999.99

If you partner this with the excellent HTS3367 we can do this package at €1099 - normally €1300 - see details of the HTS3367 here: http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/h/hts3367_12/hts3367_12_pss_aen.pdf

The only issue is that you would have to input your Sky HD box directly into the TV via HDMI 2.

Alternatively you could use the Pioneer DCS580 which is a serious unit with 4 * tallboy speakers and we could do this package at just €1249 (€27 more than the +10% limit!)

See details here - http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/DCS-580/print.html

Drop me a line if any of these interest you!

ATB,

John Mc

big b wrote: »
    Hi folks

looking to deck out my movie room with a min. 40" tv & home cinema system.

Budget's only about €1100, can go 10% more at a push.

A 40 or 42" tv, 1080P

Home cinema -Would prefer tallboy speakers & system must be able to broadcast sky in surround sound as well as DVD's, CD's etc. Upscaling to 1080P required.

I've no real strong preferences on brand. Philips have never let me down, reliable but bland maybe, but anything considered.

What's the best package for my budget just now? thanks

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Hi John
    Thanks for the quick response!

That Pioneer system looks great, didn't think I'd get mid-range Pioneer along with a 1080P TV for my budget! Still have pioneer seperates that I bought in Richer Sounds Glasgow many moons ago, very good stuff.

TV - the spec looks pretty good, I guess it's too new for any online reviews, cos I couldn't find any! Not necessarily a bad thing, but a lot of money to spend on something "unknown"!
    Been doing some browsing here since I posted, I see a LOT of people have good things to say about Panasonic TV's. Do they have a good model in my budget/wishlist?
    Anyway, I'll give your suggestions some serious thought, hoping to make a decision in the next week or so as I want to get my movie room finished while I still have some free time. Please let me have your thoughts on the TV's.
    I'm obviously keen on the Pioneer gear, but willing to consider another option to make sure I get the TV right while staying within budget(ish)
    Thanks for your help so far.

ps Boxer withdrew their application yesterday!

• Company Representative Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Big B,

Don't worry I know about Boxer - I was being sarcastic!

Yep the 5604H is just out this week so I would not expect to see any reviews at this stage - but I have seen it in a shoot out real life against the opposition from Sony & Sammy and it performs extremely well especially with regard to movement and audio quality.

The Panasonics are also excellent but the TXP42X10 is our entry model which is not full HD and it retails at £619.95 (approx €729.99) the 1st full HD Panasonic we stock is the 42G10 which we retail at £999.95 / Approx €1179.99) but it really is an excellent TV.

Other TV's you may consider are the excellent LG 42PG6010 (no MPEG4) which is HD ready and we can do at £599.95 or the excellent LG 42LG5020 Full HD LCD at £599.95 (€699.95)(no MPEG4)

The LG 42LG5020 in a package with the Pioneer DCS580 would be £939/ €1099 approx,

Again drop me a line if we can assist,

Thanks

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

thanks John

Spent some time surfing today, & think I'll discount the LG option. They seem prone to little issues & problems, I'm starting to read Matsui in place of LG!
    But I know you & your colleagues like to promote LG, so feel free to try & convince me.

I'll maybe try the local shops this week to see if I can demo the new Philips. Don't worry about the sale, their price will be crap, their product knowledge worse & overall customer service mince!
    Doubt I'll see the Pioneer system anywhere local, but having previous good experience with the brand, I'm fairly sure it will live up to it's billing anyway.

Thanks again, & do feel free to offer alternatives if good offers come in!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.