Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'How to' on releasing open source?

Options
  • 20-04-2009 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Hi

I've an application that was written at work that I've got tentative permission open source. If anyone could point me towards a 'how to' describing licensing, where to check the code in to and good arguments to give to management on the merits of open sourcing code it'd be much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

The Free Software Foundation might be a place to look...
    I think you can just include a GPL License, include the copyright & licensing from that at the top of every program and then you can put your project on some open source hosting site place like sourceforge or freshmeat (they the two most popular I know off).

Arguments for management....
    If you can encourage more to view code & use application you are more liekly to find bugs! Chances of finding security bugs are especially improved.
    Someone might add enhancements you had not considered.
    Or just enhancements in general!

There may be other advantages depending on the project; i.e. the possibility to sell manuals/books or services around the project.

good luck!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

croo wrote: »
    your project on some open source hosting site place like sourceforge or freshmeat
    http://launchpad.net is another option I've just discovered - it looks very good in terms of collaboration tools.

Advertisement