Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build ground floor heating pipework ....

Options
  • 20-04-2009 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi All,

I'm starting my new build (self build) in about 2 weeks and have a quick question in relation to pouring the ground floor slab !!! I going with rads downstairs so should I (a) get my plumber to place all the pipework before I pour and powerfloat the slab or (b) pour a sub floor and screed (maybe easy screed) at a later date when all pipework is in place. Option b will be more expensive but at least if offers some flexibility. Thanks in advance for your advice .......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Just wondering where is ur floor insulation in all of this?

I dont like burying rad pipes in the floor if at all possible for 2 reasons: they are prone to get damaged during the construction and are a possible source of leaks: there are loads or threads here with this problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Mallini

Hi Carlow,

I'll be going with the usual build-up of compacted hardcore, blinding, radon membrane, insulation and 150mm ground bearing slab. Then the question arises if I should place all the pipework on the slab and pour a screed ??

I don't like the idea of casting in all the pipework so early in the build either. As you said you run the risk of leaks etc ... I was wondering what other methods people have used to deal with this issue ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Mallini wrote: »
    Hi Carlow,

I'll be going with the usual build-up of compacted hardcore, blinding, radon membrane, insulation and 150mm ground bearing slab. Then the question arises if I should place all the pipework on the slab and pour a screed ??

I don't like the idea of casting in all the pipework so early in the build either. As you said you run the risk of leaks etc ... I was wondering what other methods people have used to deal with this issue ??

My house was plumbed by putting the pipework on top of the floor insulation and then pouring the slab on top of this. Plumber had special clips for securing the pipes to the insulation so that they would not float up through the wet concrete. He used qualplex for it. Each radiators had an individual feed and return pipe coming from the manifold - so there were no joints in the pipe buried under the slab. We took a bit of care with all pipes by putting on a small screed of concrete on each length of insulated pipe to protect it from any damage during the pouring of the slab. The ends of each pipe were left under ground also with a bit of sand and aeroboard around them - we will just have to break through an inch or so of concrete to get to them.

Will be installing my boiler soon so will let you know how it works.

Advertisement