Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Dive Gear

Options
  • 20-04-2009 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

Lidl's annual watersports sale is coming up next week;

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20090427.index

Some of the stuff is decent. The booties are dead on, comfortable and still going, and I'm also still using the mask and snorkel from last year. Very impressed with the mask as it's a good fit for my face. Snorkel is also good, if it's the same one it has a handy whistle on it.

I also got the dry bag, nice and big and still airtight after a year - also comes with light rope for securing. Although it's not very heavy-duty so it takes a bit of care I'd say.

Haven't seen the suits before, but if I was around I'd probably take a good look for €100.

May be of interest to some people here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭elcowboyspace

This gear is quite good. The fins last year are the only items which turned out to be a waste of money. Way too heaby and I've seen 3 pairs snap.

The suits are good. 3 OW students bought them and I have to say they will do the job nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

If anyone picks up a full suit, I'd be interested to hear your comments on the quality/fit etc. here.

Cheers . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

My friend has one of these suits. They've had this suit on sale before. Does the job, I gave it a go. Just found the neoprene not as flexible as other branded suits. But other than that no other complaints. Great that comes in 3 piece for the colder weather, although it does have a low enough neck on it!!

Have to disagree with the boots. Wafer thin. you'll know about it when you stub your foot, or if your fins are not the most flexible. Very thin and not the best quality.

Likewise not a fan of their snorkels either, more the design than anything else. Any of those snorkels that have a drain on them need to have a "cage" around the drain to stop the diaphram from falling out. If its gone, the snorkel is pretty much useless. A simple j-type snorkel is my preference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 donnchadhc

Lidl get these products from factories (mostly Chinese) that have produced too much stock than was ordered by the major brands. Lidl then come in and make an offer to take all the extra stock of them for a cut-down price and rebrand them. Hence why they can sell them for cheap. For instance, one of my mates got a pair of Northern Diver fins last year from a dive shop in dublin, and another mate of mine got a pair from Lidl (brand was Pegaso). They were exactly identical to the Northern Diver fins and a year they're still holding up. Can't speak for the dive suits, would need to have a look at them. Still though, for €100 you can't really go wrong.

donnchadhc wrote: »
    Lidl get these products from factories (mostly Chinese) that have produced too much stock than was ordered by the major brands. Lidl then come in and make an offer to take all the extra stock of them for a cut-down price and rebrand them. Hence why they can sell them for cheap. For instance, one of my mates got a pair of Northern Diver fins last year from a dive shop in dublin, and another mate of mine got a pair from Lidl (brand was Pegaso). They were exactly identical to the Northern Diver fins and a year they're still holding up. Can't speak for the dive suits, would need to have a look at them. Still though, for €100 you can't really go wrong.

Now that you say it... the suit does resemble one of the northern diver suits..

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

Was in Lanzarote Diving 2 years ago and while on the safety stop a group of 6-8 divers passed below us and all wore 'pegaso' suits.

I wonder where they bought them.???..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

I was looking at buying the 3 Piece suit. What are the ideal thickness levels Neoprone for Diving in Ireland? It says the total thickness of the 3 Piece suit is 11.5 when worn toghether.

The shorty part of the suit was 5mm is that too thick for summer diving? As they also do a 3mm Shorty for €30.

BigDuffman wrote: »
    I was looking at buying the 3 Piece suit. What are the ideal thickness levels Neoprone for Diving in Ireland? It says the total thickness of the 3 Piece suit is 11.5 when worn toghether.

The shorty part of the suit was 5mm is that too thick for summer diving? As they also do a 3mm Shorty for €30.

In general, divers would wear 12mm's from March to mid/ mid end summer. the norm in suits would be 2 pieces. Comprising of a 7mm full suit and a 5mm over vest (which sometimes might have a hood attached). So the 11.5 would be pretty much on the ball for Irish conditions.

As the water temp increases, some will use a 7mm on its own, with a few nuts even venturing out in 5mm suits. So in warmer weather I reckon the 5mm wouldn't be needed, but its all relative.

Will depend on depths you are diving to, your tolerance to cold, above surface weather conditions.....

I know the suit above is very good value, but personally I think a semi dry is the way to go. Suit similar in design to Scubapro Scotia. Tis 6.5mm thick. Need far less weight, far less restrictive, you are almost dry when you come out of the water and you can pretty much dive in it year round.

Granted more expensive, but a far superior suit...:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭fmcc

Always amazes me that proper wetsuits don't get a look in. I use a freediving 5mm suit for snorkelling and scuba. Its toasty warm becasue theres no zips and is very tight fiting so no water flush. You have to lube it up to get into it which is a + too. Now down to 15-20m its cushdy and you need feck all weight. Past that for any leangth of time and it does get chilly as the neoprene compresses. But nearly all my diving has been there or thereabouts for the past few years.
    hate drysuits and have one for sale if anyone is interested.
    The lidl gear aint half bad imho and I usually buy a few bits and pieces for spares etc. I remember the strobe lamps I bought were cack and both went after 2 dives.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,726 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Just bought that 3 Piece this morning.

Fits a charm!

Bought the snorkel and mask also. Mask has quality feel off it. Not too stiff (Made in Thailand not china) Also the fins are quite flexible was expecting more rubbish quality but very happy with the purchase now:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Dhaga

Gear seems good if your going to be going snorkeling, except for the fins but if you want to dive, go for the well known brands. Better to pay for the quality. That's how I see it in anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Bought the 3 Piece yesterday. About 2 weeks ago I had previously bought the fins, they are great deal as well! I was skeptical about the current batch of fins they had on sale at the moment.

I tried the 3 Piece on and it fit like a glove. A little tight round my throat (I've a rugby players neck however) when worn as the 3 Piece. Seems like a great value buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭rabii

for a 100 they are very good they look like a semi dry suit . as i have a drysuit i don't need it all time,so i can use that in the good time:cool:.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

They were all sold out of the 3 piece when I went to buy them, tried a few lidls. Got the boots and the snorkel,mask,fins set. The mask doesnt fit me and is too stiff but apart from the it all seems ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭rabii

HI,68 lost souls
    there is two lift in shannon clare s and xl

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

i have the 3 piece from three years ago they were 149e then the best fitting suite ive worn its great i got the suite last year whit the front zip for 100 not as good but handy for lending out, the suite this year is nearly the same as my first one but 50e cheaper. i use just one piece from june to oct its great. i got the seado scooter last year 149e good fun

Advertisement