Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State Exam Conferences

Options
  • 20-04-2009 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Just wondering does anyone know when we will find out about our conferences for the State Exams, trying to book tickets on the 5th of August, just want to make sure that my 26 days after the conference will be over!! Im sure they have to send this information out soon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

The correcting period can often run over the scheduled time so I would be wary of booking holidays, just in case somethin goes wrong!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is it Junior or Leaving? Which subject?

Leaving correcting will have to be well over by then if the results are to be out on time. Junior can afford to be a bit later, but I'd say you'd be safe enough unless it's one of the very late subjects you are correcting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Corrections are normally finished by the August bank holiday weekend, i've never gone beyond August 1st with JC or LC corrections. I correct Ag Science which is one of the last subjects on the exam timetable and we are always finished by the end of July.

what subject are you correcting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 aloofasc

Im correcting Junior Cert Geog, so hopefully i should be finished. I have corrected them for the last two years and its been over by the 5th, but knowing my luck this year will be different! Im also supervising the exams for the first year this time so i cant wait to find out what school im at. Who says teachers do nothing during the summer! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 teflteacher

can u tell me the rate of pay for correcting papers?
    also, is payment towards the end of summer in one lump sum?
    :Dthanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

They're really cloak and dagger about information like this, but they will tell you at the conference.

I marked CSPE last year and got E7.23 per script. Most LC subjects would be more than that and most JC subjects would be less.

You also get an overnight allowance for each night that you have to stay in Athlone, as well as an administration fee and money for actually being at the conference - - all of this will work out at about E500 in total.

You can also claim expenses for stationary, stamps etc and mileage - this is tax free.

You will get a small payment about a week into correcting (E500 I think) and the rest in September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 teflteacher

thanks
    how long would it take to correct a script?
    it sounds like ok money

Basically everything sitstill said. The lump sum you get at the start - i think it's an incentive to get working! - varies, the longer you are correcting the more it seems to be, it probably also depends on the subject, I usually get an advance of €1200 but I'm correcting 8 years and at LC Higher Level. For some JC Ordinary Level papers that would nearly make up the majority of the payment so it wouldn't be that big, i used only get €400 when I started out on Junior Cert papers.

thanks
    how long would it take to correct a script?
    it sounds like ok money

it depends on the subject and the level. Sometimes you can get a run of papers from a very poor group where they have written very little and get though a higher number than usual, or the other end of the scale where you have students who write 30 pages when 8 would have done! I got a lot of those last year and I was nearly tearing my hair out over them.

Some subjects can be fiddly enough, maths for example, if a student is getting everything right, not so hard to correct, but if they go wrong, you are deducting marks for different types of errors and trying to follow their method after they have gone wrong in a calculation. That will be time consuming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

it sounds like ok money

Ya think so?

Travel and subsistence have been cut by 25% for this year and the payments are subject to the income levy and the Public Service Pension Contribution.

I'm still correcting tho! I'm broke

http://www.tui.ie/_fileupload/Image/Changes%20in%20Examination%20Remuneration%20-%20March%202009.doc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭hello_there_jim

if i stuck in a tenner would ya give a better mark? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

I applied for this and apart from a letter a few weeks ago saying to keep waiting, I've heard nothing.
    Should I assume I haven't got it and start making other arrangments for the summer?

(the local supermarket would take me on!)

I applied for this and apart from a letter a few weeks ago saying to keep waiting, I've heard nothing.
    Should I assume I haven't got it and start making other arrangments for the summer?

(the local supermarket would take me on!)

hard to say, there is a reserve list so you might get called up if someone drops out.

I got notification today, my conference is on Monday and Tuesday 29th and 30th June. Most of the minority subjects are usually on the same day. We're expected to finish by July 24th so I reckon everyone else should be finished around then too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I never got that letter this year but admittedly did apply late. When are final appointments made?

Reserves can be appointed anytime from now up until the day of the conference really, first time I did it, I got a phone call on a Friday evening to be in Athlone on Monday morning.

Advertisement