Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Water dripping from Honda Accord

Options
  • 20-04-2009 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

Morning All,

I have a 2005 Honda Accord, and when I parked it for a roadside stop yesterday, a man nearby told me that there was water dripping out from under it. While the car was sitting there for 10 minutes it kept on dribbling out - to give you an idea of the amount, I'd say it was actually just half a cupful.

I called the AA guy to be sure, to be sure... since while I love my cars, I'm not very expert on what goes on under the bonnet. He said that all the main systems checked out fine, which made sense, since there had been no weird noises or smells, and no lights on the dashboard, high temperature readings or anything else out of the ordinary. It had been sitting in Dublin Airport carpark for about 4-5 days and had been driven for about an hour when we pulled over.

The AA guy reckoned that the only explanation was that the aircon system was getting rid of water, much like a fridge would do. He said that as a precaution, I should have it checked out if the same thing keeps happening.

Has anyone experience of this kind of issue?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I had this experience as well on an Opel with aircon. The manual tells you that it will drip water. Nothing to worry but, but check your own manual to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

That sounds reasonable to me, car a/c systems do drip water, especially when it's warm & humid outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Id say its the air con, same thing happens in all cars I know that have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Yup sounds like a pretty decent guess.

If there was no water missing from the radiator/overflow then it must have come from something else and the air con unit is a common one for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Noticed a puddle under mine yesterday after using the aircon while it was warm-ish. Nothing to worry about i'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭positron

I went thru the exact same panic like the OP - I was just after driving an 05 Honda Accord from CarGiant to Holyhead and the Customs people at Holyhead said there's something dripping under the car - and there sure was - I hadn't realised I had left the A/c on for the entire trip! I later confirmed with various sources and it is indeed the A/c drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Saw a small puddle under my accord the other day too after I had been driving with the air con on (was a hot day)

That would explain it then..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Thanks all... the manual funnily enough doesn't say anything about water draining out of the system, though it's clearly got to be that, in light of all the comments above. I had the aircon running for a while when it happened.

Anyway, thanks all of you for putting my mind at ease!

Advertisement