Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recognition with teaching council

Options
  • 19-04-2009 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hey

I was wondering if anyone an help me, im not getting anywere with this, I had my degree assessed with teaching council to teach biology, i need to make up 20 ECTS. teaching council queit un helpful in how i can make it up, they just tell me to forward on whatever i propose to do. the open university courses are not suitable for me, has anyne ever been in same bothy? has anyone any advice on what to do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭marblesolutions

I am not sure what you mean by 20ECTS, but I know many friends who had modules to make up . Is this what they mean ? for example a teacher I work with lacked genetics ? He was told he would have to redo a whole year but he argued his case and completed one module in Carlow IT.
    As far as I know IT's are your best bet, so as soon as you can work out what you need ring around and see what will suit many have evening courses .
    I know how difficult the teachers council is to deal with it took me years and lots of heart ache to get my qualifications in Chemistry and Biology recognised, but don't give up. I found Pat Meehan quite helpful so if you like ask to speak to her directly and perhaps she can explain exactly what you need and how best to get it.
    Good luck.
    One last thing if you feel they are being unreasonable in their requirements contact your union. The union got involved with Ivans case and helped him reduce one year full time study to one module in the evening.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

bethm24 wrote: »
    Hey

I was wondering if anyone an help me, im not getting anywere with this, I had my degree assessed with teaching council to teach biology, i need to make up 20 ECTS. teaching council queit un helpful in how i can make it up, they just tell me to forward on whatever i propose to do. the open university courses are not suitable for me, has anyne ever been in same bothy? has anyone any advice on what to do?

Establish exactly in writing from the teaching council what areas you need the 20 ECTS in and what level you need to study them at. It's pointless doing a module in plant biology at level 2 if they want it at level 3. If they are unwilling to tell you exactly then all you can do is look at the leaving certificate syllabus and decide what areas your degree was lacking in. It may be to your advantage that they have not given you a clear direction as you may now be able to steer your 20 ECTS in the direction you want.

Next, look up the universities and Institute of Technologies that you can attend easily on www.qualifax.ie and see if they have modules amongst their degree courses that are aligned with the 20 ECTS you need.

Next, ask the university if you can attend those modules as an occasional student.

Next, send your plan of study for the 20 ECTS to the Teaching Council.

Your situation is common enough now and the administration in the college you apply to should be familiar with this.

Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭windsurfer99ie

I was in a similiar situation a year or so ago, and they suggested that I should send them details of my intended course prior to enrolling on it. They were happy to state in writing that successful completion would meet their requirements. I then enrolled on the course, and it all worked out for me. Good luck!

Advertisement