Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Gatso vans?

Options
  • 19-04-2009 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

Earlier today I spotted a newish looking white transit van parked on the N4 on the inbound side before the M50 junction. The van was parked near roadworks and I think the speed limit at that point is 60kmh. The van had a large light in the rear window which periodically flashed, just like a camera.

Is this a new type of Gatso van? The older ones had a camera pointing out of the rear window but no flash.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It does sound like one of them.
    At their launch, it was said that they would all have the garda logo and the speed camera icon on them but seemingly several of them don't have markings of any kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

This is the fella that caught me on the Naas Rd (just after Esso at Rathcoole) , Does anybody know or reckon this is a multiple lane detector and if not what lane would it be on?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

What does the flash look like on these if it's flashed at you? Is it similar to the way the one at the Tallaght exit on the M50 used to? I passed this earlier on and think I was ok speed wise. Didn't see any flash either but am just a little curious!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Hartyk87

Hi,

Just wondering if theres any pictures of these New Gatso vans floating around. I wana keep my eyes peeled for them...

kwalshe wrote: »
    This is the fella that caught me on the Naas Rd (just after Esso at Rathcoole) , Does anybody know or reckon this is a multiple lane detector and if not what lane would it be on?
    AFAIK it can detect the speed of traffic approaching it regardless of lane.
    Jeapy wrote: »
    What does the flash look like on these if it's flashed at you? Is it similar to the way the one at the Tallaght exit on the M50 used to? I passed this earlier on and think I was ok speed wise. Didn't see any flash either but am just a little curious!
    It looks like a camera flash but twice (just like the fixed cameras)
    Hartyk87 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering if theres any pictures of these New Gatso vans floating around. I wana keep my eyes peeled for them...
    They are white high roof transits with blacked out rear windows and usually seen parked on the hard shoulder or thereabouts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Hartyk87 wrote: »
    Hi,

77847.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

you cant miss them they are so clean....

donvito99 wrote: »
    77847.JPG
    As I said earlier, bear in mind that they don't all have the camera or Garda stickers; i.e. just a white van with darkened rear windows.
    The older ones also came in white, green, blue and IIRC red

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

That looks like the van alright, but it didn't have the Garda markings or speed camera stickers as in the pic. There was no sign of the camera though, only that square looking spotlight in the window

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

shamwari wrote: »
    That looks like the van alright, but it didn't have the Garda markings or speed camera stickers as in the pic. There was no sign of the camera though, only that square looking spotlight in the window

It's one alright and the one at ESSO on the N7 has been milking it for the past week or so................watch out..............slow down................

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭ecom

i saw one of these on the naas road just as you come off the M50 southbound, heading towards the long mile road.

funny thing was it flashed as I was approaching, but I was only doing 45 to 50kph in a 60 zone.

On that note, does anyone know why that stretch of 3-lane road is 60kph. Seems very very slow. More often than not there is a Gatso van at that location (which is why I was doing 50kph in the first place!). Is it just an easy target or can someone see a valid reason for that limit?

Was there another car beside you that could have been speeding?
    As for the speed limit, I assume that its down to the number of pedestrians and entrances along it, never mind the terrible junction at the Nangor Rd/Longmile Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

There was one yesterday evening in Crusheen for about 6 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Ahh good old front facing cameras. Suckers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

glineli wrote: »
    There was one yesterday evening in Crusheen for about 6 hours

that one is often there....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

corktina wrote: »
    that one is often there....

The new one? first time seeing it. and i got caught a few weeks ago there!!!

There was also a garda checkpoint there sunday morning. getting very regular, almost every sunday now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭SeanW

This information would be all welcome on:
    http://www.irishspeedtraps.com/

there you can post Speed trap sightings and look up others.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,291 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Another sparkling clean and unmarked one in Straffan today. Pinged in to IST, not seen one there before.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

Query........

A quiet Saturday morning on the Naas road.

The same check point, the same day , the same speed, two fines, both for exactly the same offence ,91 KMH in a 60.

Two hours time diference, going in either direction.

What are the chances firstly & secondly will both these fines be valid along with the double helping of penalty points?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭I_am_Jebus

Query........

A quiet Saturday morning on the Naas road.

The same check point, the same day , the same speed, two fines, both for exactly the same offence ,91 KMH in a 60.

Two hours time diference, going in either direction.

What are the chances firstly & secondly will both these fines be valid along with the double helping of penalty points?

Absolutely. 2 separate offences. 2 Fines and 2 sets of penatly points.

• Advertisement
Advertisement