Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unusual Question....

Options
  • 19-04-2009 10:00pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Folks,

How much would a boxed Sega Megadrive weigh? I won 2 on ebay and the seller is looking for £50 for postage, I think thats a rip off.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

1) where is it coming from a guess from the £ sign its coming from the United kingdom,

2) Are they boxed

3) Does it come with alot of games

4) Did you know the Postage before you won the items.

Also £50 does seem a bit much, maybe £20 Max

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

appleidog wrote: »
    1) where is it coming from a guess from the £ sign its coming from the United kingdom,

2) Are they boxed

3) Does it come with alot of games

4) Did you know the Postage before you won the items.

Also £50 does seem a bit much, maybe £20 Max

Yes they are coming from the UK.

They are boxed.

There are a few games alright, 10 with one (8 Game cases in total) & a 6 in 1 cartrdge in the other.

No, I mailed the seller a couple of days ago with no reply. When I won there was still no postage price, when asked the seller came back with £50.

Now you have to be careful, because with how you address the situation because you don't want to get a Negative feedback, tell him that you don't mind paying for postage and Packaging ect.... but £50 does seem a bit to much.

Ask him if he could put the two Loose Cartridge's in the boxes them self.

Just wondering how much if you dont mind me asking was the entire package!.

And is it md1,2 or both

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Now you have to be careful, because with how you address the situation because you don't want to get a Negative feedback, tell him that you don't mind paying for postage and Packaging ect.... but £50 does seem a bit to much.

Ask him if he could put the two Loose Cartridge's in the boxes them self.

Just wondering how much if you dont mind me asking was the entire package!.

And is it md1,2 or both

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=310135266449

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=310135266520

I won them at £9.99 each. Entire package is about £69.98 from what I am told.
    Their postage to the uk was £9.99

There are no loose cartridges, 8 boxes contain the 10 games. 1 must be a 3in1 jobbie.

I mean technically, if you were in Northern Ireland you could claim that because its part of the United Kingdom it should be 9.99 as claimed on the auction, I mean you could probably get it down a bit, or if she does ask for 50 ask for a reciept.

And also i know that the postal service in America has gone crazy with international shipping but i really doubt the United kingdom has yet.

• Advertisement

I mean technically, if you were in Northern Ireland you could claim that because its part of the United Kingdom it should be 9.99 as claimed on the auction, I mean you could probably get it down a bit, or if she does ask for 50 ask for a reciept.

And also i know that the postal service in America has gone crazy with international shipping but i really doubt the United kingdom has yet.

Well going by the royal mail website I can't really tell unless I know the approx weight of the megadrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,448 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You'd be surprised how much postage costs once things start getting heavy. I had to send a broken xbox 360 back to a UK seller recently and It came to about 40 euro in total.

All the consoles I've bought from mainland UK have cost about 20 euro postage each. So two megadrives with games are going to add up alright.

Dunno about 50 though? Maybe 40?

o1s1n wrote: »
    You'd be surprised how much postage costs once things start getting heavy. I had to send a broken xbox 360 back to a UK seller recently and It came to about 40 euro in total.

All the consoles I've bought from mainland UK have cost about 20 euro postage each. So two megadrives with games are going to add up alright.

Dunno about 50 though? Maybe 40?

Going by this though:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Sega-MEGA-DRIVE-MINT-BOXED-CONSOLE-12-GAMES_W0QQitemZ180337197907QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_VideoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsoles?hash=item180337197907&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A13|39%3A1|240%3A1318

£16.99 for my first one with 10 games would be grand.

Even if it was to be twice that (£34) then it wouldn't be too bad but I think £50 is taking the mick.

Master of the Universe

The postage difference between UK domestic and UK international is colossal. Believe me! I have about 300 ebay transactions and most of them are from the UK.

16.99 isn't enough to send all that to Ireland. Should be about 20+. The games are going to add a lot more weight.

As a comparison, I received a box of about 10 games from an auction a couple of years ago. postage was around £12 - 15 just to ship some games.

So 20 for each console and then 15 for the games is 45.

50 does seem on the higher end of the scale. At most I would have said 40-45.

But then as I said, it cost me 40 euro to post one 360. :(

The postage difference between UK domestic and UK international is colossal. Believe me! I have about 300 ebay transactions and most of them are from the UK.

16.99 isn't enough to send all that to Ireland. Should be about 20+. The games are going to add a lot more weight.

As a comparison, I received a box of about 10 games from an auction a couple of years ago. postage was around £12 - 15 just to ship some games.

So 20 for each console and then 15 for the games is 45.

50 does seem on the higher end of the scale. At most I would have said 40-45.

But then as I said, it cost me 40 euro to post one 360. :(

Would that not make it 55? ;)

There is alot of weight in a 360 tho.

I think the seller is only put a high price on it because it sold for a lot less than most recently. I do believe ebay is renound for sellers putting high postage on items to make profit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Are sellers really allowed set whatever price they want for p&p ?

Master of the Universe

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Are sellers really allowed set whatever price they want for p&p ?

Always confirm the shipping price before you bid. As if you do it after they can pretty much say what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Gadge

Sellers don't get charged ebay fees on postage costs as far as I know, so that's why you'll see items going for like 99c with €20 postage costs.

Always confirm the shipping price before you bid. As if you do it after they can pretty much say what they want.

I suppose the problem is when the seller doesn't respond before the auction ends ? Or if you're buying from the UK (like most of us do) it can take them some time before they get you a quote from their post office.

Master of the Universe

Gadge wrote: »
    Sellers don't get charged ebay fees on postage costs as far as I know, so that's why you'll see items going for like 99c with €20 postage costs.

Indeed. It's not allowed by ebay but they don't enforce it at all. Pain in the arse.
    I suppose the problem is when the seller doesn't respond before the auction ends ? Or if you're buying from the UK (like most of us do) it can take them some time before they get you a quote from their post office.

It's a really annoying problem Irish ebay users face. I've had to bid quite a few times without shipping quotes from the UK and thankfully the majority of sellers have been honest about it.

However there was one particular instance where someone wanted to charge me for posting two items separately (£5.00) when you could just put them in one package together for £2.50. (Couple of comics)

It may sound like a small amount of money but the idea that he was trying to make extra on postage really annoyed me.

I refused to pay, it went on for a very long time and resulted in an ebay dispute. Initially they sided with him and gave me three strikes against my account. I freaked out and the strikes were removed.

However it just goes to show, in most cases ebay will side with the seller. It doesn't matter how ridiculous the postage charges are, they seem to think if you press buy you're entitled to pay them.

I suppose it's the sellers that are ebay's customers so they're looking out for the hand that feeds ?

I hate ebay. I detest the site. Nothing but trouble in my opinion. And I've not even had all that many bad experiences per se (well, I've had none bar one small dispute over a 3euro copied DVDr!) but the whole experience of using it (especially being in ROI) is just a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Best thing to do is if you don't know the total price including shipping to Ireland, don't bid. Your just opening yourself up to getting done by the seller.

I got the postage brought down to £40.... so thats £59.98 (€67) for 2 megadrives with a decent amount of games. Not too bad I have to say.

Probably could've got it cheaper on adverts.ie

Probably could've got it cheaper on adverts.ie

Yeah, but boxed and all. Plus I will receive £10 in vouchers off the seller for their shop so I can pick up about 4 more games and it won't cost me a penny.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

As a matter of interest, what games did you get?

As a matter of interest, what games did you get?

SONIC 1& 2 (2 Copies of Sonic 1)
    DOUBLE HEADER
    FIFA
    COLUMNS (2 Copies)
    ITALIA CUP 90 (2 Copies)
    HANG ON
    KAWASKAI
    ECOO THE DOLPHIN
    LEADER BOARD GOLF
    MONACO GP
    STREETS OF RAGE
    SHINOBI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

great games,i loved them all,as for the postage,unfortantly royal mail has always been dear between uk/ireland,same would be with magazines subscriptions,it would been cheaper for me to buy the uk mag in the local newsagent from the same amount it would cost years subscription *and still have change left over

Advertisement