Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease renewal question

Options
  • 19-04-2009 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

Hi, this is probably a stupid question but I would really appreciate some thoughts on this. I know the answer is to ring the landlord and ask him but I want to get an idea of what he wants first and then I'll ring him.

I moved into a new flat last year and the lease will be up in June. The landlord sent a lease renewal to me in the post. I'm not sure what he wants me to do with it. All the fields are blank including how much the rent is. What do people think?

Does he expect me to fill it in with the current rent?
    How can he expect me to pay the same rent? If I wanted to stay for another year I would expect a reduction of at least €200 a month. If he didn't agree to that I would move out.

Does he want me to leave the rent amount blank?
    This surely couldn't be. He couldn't expect me to sign a lease without a rental amount on it. This would be like signing a blank cheque. Every month for a year!

Does he want me to suggest an amount?
    That's not negiotiation. What if I put in an amount that he doesn't agree with, would he send another blank form?

As I said I'm just looking for people's opinions before I contact him. I asked a friend who says he expects me to fill it in with the current rent and pay the same amount for another year, that "He's chancing his arm".

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I wouldnt go filling in the rent your currently paying, nor would I fill in the rent you wish to pay.
    Rent should of gone down in the past year, compare the market for similar places to yours and give your landlord a ring asking what the rent is for next year. If he says its the same, tell him ok but at that price you'll be moving out, unless he can reduce it.

If you fill in the rent you wish to get, he might think your trying to screw him and can only hurt your relationship with the landlord, and theres no point in doing that.

Leaving it blank, as you say, signing a blank cheque.

Basically the answer you wernt looking for, ring him up and negotiate. It will save alot of messing about IMO. They're human after all, and its better they get someone who they can trust with the house/rent/bills (assuming your a good tennant) then some disaster of a tennant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

Basically the answer you wernt looking for, ring him up and negotiate. It will save alot of messing about IMO.

Hi, yes I know that I should simply ring him to ask but I feel like he's playing some kind of game by sending out a blank lease. I could be reading too much into it though. But something seems wrong about it. Why send out a blank lease? Would it be to force me to contact him to ask "wtf"Why not just be direct and contact me to say "Hey, your lease is up soon, would you like to renew?" then we could talk. Or even ask me to contact him. I hate silly little games and don't expect them with a landlord.

Thanks for answering, I should try to stop letting it wreck my head I suppose.

I don't know if this matters but I should mention it anyway in case it does. I deal with the agent for the landlord, not the owner of the flat directly. I've always dealt with the agent.

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I don't know if this matters but I should mention it anyway in case it does. I deal with the agent for the landlord, not the owner of the flat directly. I've always dealt with the agent.
    Im the same. They probably do the same thing with everyone, saves them doing the work finding out rent prices etc.

Ive contacted our leasing agent numerous times over the past year, she was pretty good at helping me with everything.

At the end of the day its their job to act as an intermediate between you and the landlord, so id see no harm in contacting (email/phone call/walk in) the agency and ask. They'll explain why its blank and if they say to just put in your current rent amount then ask them is the landlord planning on reducing the rent?
    Most likely they'll say they've not heard him say, so just ask them to check with him because blah blah blah recession blah blah rent price drops etc etc.

I know there are some apartments where the owner never sees them. They basically bought the place and setup with a leasing agency to rent it year after year and the owner does nothing but pay for replacing things, and collect the rent. I personally dont like those kind of owners, IMO they only care about the €€€ and not about who lives in their apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Jellab

Post him back the lease blank with a note in it stating that he forgot to fill all the details out and if he could call you regarding the rent amount to discuss new terms. If he doesnt want to give you cheaper rent. Start looking for a new place as there are any amount of them out there and cheaper

Advertisement