Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microchipping/Innoculation cost

Options
  • 19-04-2009 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

I'm getting a pup innolculated/microchipped. Local vet said its €60 for the innoculations and €50 for microchipping. I thought that sounded a bit high considering people often microchip and innoculate whole sets of pups.

Is it high or does anyone know what the normal cost is? I'm planning to shop around a few vets but just wanted to get some advice on here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Triton wrote: »
    I'm getting a pup innolculated/microchipped. Local vet said its €60 for the innoculations and €50 for microchipping. I thought that sounded a bit high considering people often microchip and innoculate whole sets of pups.

Is it high or does anyone know what the normal cost is? I'm planning to shop around a few vets but just wanted to get some advice on here.

I'd say shop around for the chipping anyway, thats just slightly over what I've been charged (€35 per dog) and I've done the innoculations myself at a fraction of that cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Um, AFAIK that sounds about right.
    I got my dogs boosters there the other week and they were 49€ each, and I know microchipping costs around €50 too. No harm in ringing around though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

I'd say shop around for the chipping anyway, thats just slightly over what I've been charged (€35 per dog) and I've done the innoculations myself at a fraction of that cost.

Innoculations should not be done by anyone but a veterinary professional. Are unqualified people able to check the heart and lungs, to take a temperature and to palpate the lymph nodes, amoung many other things, well enough to make sure that the puppy is healthy enough to withstand a vaccination.

As regarding microchipping a know a fair few vets who do special prices when you get a micro chipping and vaccination done together. Think 80 euros is the cheapest, for the whole thing. Your 1st vac cost should always include a full veterinary check up. A lot of time the second vaccination should be at a reduced cost as the puppy had a full check two weeks previous.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 macflea

sounds expensive, in birmingham , uk , full vaccination first and second visit including health check is 36 pounds and micro chip is 15 pounds. 51 pounds in total and a free frontline for fleas is also given. worm tablet 2 pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Everything in Ireland is expensive Macflea! We're ripped off at every angle.
    OP, the quote you were given sounds about right.... Give or take a tenner or so.
    I'm having my 4 dogs chipped soon- my vet said he will do all 4 for E100, but he knows me well....I don't think I'd get it that cheap from a vet who didn't know me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

Jules wrote: »
    Innoculations should not be done by anyone but a veterinary professional. Are unqualified people able to check the heart and lungs, to take a temperature and to palpate the lymph nodes, amoung many other things, well enough to make sure that the puppy is healthy enough to withstand a vaccination.

..........Your 1st vac cost should always include a full veterinary check up. A lot of time the second vaccination should be at a reduced cost as the puppy had a full check two weeks previous.

140 euro for chip & innoculations on my last trip to vet with Jack Russell.

Do we know what's included in a "full veterinary check up"? Seems, in my experience of taking dogs to vets, that some full veterinary check ups take just a couple of minutes while others seem to take much longer?

Sorry to hijack the thread!!

Advertisement