Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

engine warning light...

Options
  • 19-04-2009 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

... and speedo

i have a 2002 for focus and it's doing my head in. the engine warning light keeps coming on and staying on for days at a time (it's now on more than it's not on) and my speedo sometimes decides to die on me and go for a lie down at zero. i could be doing 40-50mph and the speedo tells me am not moving. there is over 120,000 miles on the car and most of the time she runs like a dream. i've had diagnostic checks done and they show nothing is wrong :confused:

it's due an NCT, but am sfraid to send it as it will fail due to the light being on, which is a problem that the diagnostic tells me is not a problem.

whats going on with windsor, are they doing a 3grand scrappage thing, does anyone think they might take it off me????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Who is checking the fault codes - is it with a good mechanic or a lucky-bag diagnostic tester? If it's the latter, get yourself to a good independant or a main dealer - they'll save you a lot of time and agro.

The speedo problem could be down to the instrument cluster or the speed sensor - do any of the other dials go back to zero when the speedo does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

The mark 1 Focus is also known for the instrument pod faults with speedo and rev counters having a mind of their own. I think Ford even replaced a lot of them for free in the UK but I dont know about here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

Who is checking the fault codes - is it with a good mechanic or a lucky-bag diagnostic tester? If it's the latter, get yourself to a good independant or a main dealer - they'll save you a lot of time and agro.

The speedo problem could be down to the instrument cluster or the speed sensor - do any of the other dials go back to zero when the speedo does it?
    everything else is fine, only the speedo. when it happens the car seems to lose a wee bit of bite, and when in say 2nd gear and slowing down to almost stop it starts shunting. as i say it runs like a dream, and even though there's quite a high mileage on it, it's well looked after and gets serviced every 6-8,000 miles.
    can you recommend a good place to have it checked out thoroughly, where i won't be ripped off:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Are any DTC codes present on the ECU?

Of course the MIL could be coming on from some faulty eletrics rather than coming from the ECU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 68coupe

its worth trying someone else with diagnostic equipment first, then see if any faults are found. There are a few sensors on these that give trouble. but i have come accross faulty dash clocks on these before. if car is driving perfectly and no faults reading on the diagnostics, and the speedo keeps giving you trouble....prob the dash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

A proper diagnostic test will tell you the problem straight away.

Ring around a few mechanics, €50 for just a check, could be a simple

problem with any luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

poindexter wrote: »
    everything else is fine, only the speedo. when it happens the car seems to lose a wee bit of bite, and when in say 2nd gear and slowing down to almost stop it starts shunting. as i say it runs like a dream, and even though there's quite a high mileage on it, it's well looked after and gets serviced every 6-8,000 miles.
    can you recommend a good place to have it checked out thoroughly, where i won't be ripped off:rolleyes:

It looks like it could be the speed sensor, but you will have to get someone with the diagnostic equipment to confirm this. Ring up your local ford dealership tomorrow if you don't know any decent independants - they should have a fixed rate for reading off fault codes - with the codes read out, they should be able to advise you of any further work needed and costs.
    and when in say 2nd gear and slowing down to almost stop it starts shunting.

I wouldn't worry too much about this, just sounds like you're in the wrong gear - try working the clutch to smoothen it out.

Diagnostic Code Readers are for nothing these days, heck I'm even doing my final year project on one.
    Of course, you will only be able to understand standard OBD parameters but if you get the codes and come back to me, I can help you with explanation.

Surely someone around has a basic code reader to try first before going to the dealer. They will have more specialized equipment for the model that will probably give more details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 NOTSURE

hi remove clocks and remove printed circuit ,clean with electrical contact cleaner which you can buy in motor factors and it will be perfect,let it dry before trying it ,works everytime for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Are any DTC codes present on the ECU?

Of course the MIL could be coming on from some faulty eletrics rather than coming from the ECU.
    right over my head there, but i'll remember these letters.
    It looks like it could be the speed sensor, but you will have to get someone with the diagnostic equipment to confirm this. Ring up your local ford dealership tomorrow if you don't know any decent independants - they should have a fixed rate for reading off fault codes - with the codes read out, they should be able to advise you of any further work needed and costs.

I wouldn't worry too much about this, just sounds like you're in the wrong gear - try working the clutch to smoothen it out.
    lol, am not in the wrong gear. if the speedo is working as normal there is never this shunting thing,i'ts when it sits at zero that it starts, and mainly as i say when slowing down to prepare to stop ie traffic lights, level crossing etc.
    NOTSURE wrote: »
    hi remove clocks and remove printed circuit ,clean with electrical contact cleaner which you can buy in motor factors and it will be perfect,let it dry before trying it ,works everytime for me.
    i wouldn't have a clue about how to do any of this mate, cheers though
    Webmonkey wrote: »
    Diagnostic Code Readers are for nothing these days, heck I'm even doing my final year project on one.
    Of course, you will only be able to understand standard OBD parameters but if you get the codes and come back to me, I can help you with explanation.

Surely someone around has a basic code reader to try first before going to the dealer. They will have more specialized equipment for the model that will probably give more details.
    great stuff, thanks very much mate

• Advertisement

right over my head there, but i'll remember these letters.

Sorry! -Nothing you don't know already, DTC, simply diagnostic trouble code, the name given to these codes. The MIL is the Malfunction Indicator Lamp, the name given to the Engine light.

Anyways, I've got a tool here for reading DTCs just thrown in the corner, I'm sure a lot more people have it too, no harm checking up yourself first.

However, by sounds of it, it's more than likely a problem with your dash, the intermittent turning on and off would signify a minor temporary problem, but since you don't notice anything different in the driving good chance just an electric problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

As EPM says, the MK1 Focus has a problem with the instrument cluster. Apprently they were very prone to behaving like this.

I have a 04 Focus, and its happened to me a few times. Oddly, it hasnt happened in the last 6 months or so. I didnt do a whole lot to fix the problem, although it did notice it happening more in the cold.

Check the simple stuff first - like the fuses.

Advertisement