Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for a new car!!

Options
  • 19-04-2009 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hey all! im looking for a new car for about €4000. Would like it to be fairly fast but it doesnt have to be a machine.....looks are more what im into!
    Any suggestions???

Just to add a little more detail the most im willing to go for is a 2L......was thinking about a teg or a celica but will I be able to get a good one for that kind of money???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Knowing very very little about what you're looking for, i would like to recommend something along the lines of this. I reckon they'd take 4k cash for it.:D To be honest, i'm guessing you're looking for a 4 cylinder turbo or something but why have four cylinders when you can have 12 of them in that merc, and about 400bhp to boot!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,397 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

for 4k you'd get a late model Mitsubishi FTO, 200bhp from a 2.0 V6. 0-60 in under 7 seconds. Great looks, lovely burble from V6.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Fiona500

If you want a car that drives well and looks good, you could get a good Alfa 147 for 'bout €4K.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Knowing very very little about what you're looking for, i would like to recommend something along the lines of this. I reckon they'd take 4k cash for it.:D To be honest, i'm guessing you're looking for a 4 cylinder turbo or something but why have four cylinders when you can have 12 of them in that merc, and about 400bhp to boot!:)
    He wants something that looks good!

The FTO would be a good choice alright. There's a Teg type R on adverts for 5k, tis a beauty, if you can stretch your budget then this'd be the one to go for, seriously cheap for what it is

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=75215&cpage=1#poststart

But insurance can be pricy on em, I was quoted 1800 from 123.ie for one of these, I'm 22 full licence, 3 years NCB

Was plannin on buying one of these myself but I aint gonna risk buying anythin too expensive because of how work is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

If the insurance on the Type R or Mivec is proving too much you could do worse than a Prelude. Easy enough to insure, very clean and unabused examples are easy to find than other coupes, and will be very reliable. 134bhp, so not lightening quick, but enough to get you by for day to day use!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

lexus is200

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Lexus/IS200/6-Speed-/200915192422757/advert a bit over budget but theres haggling room there, excelent car, bulletproof engine and quite a sporty motor, this one even has the full factory satnav built in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

I reckon you could get a 99 Celica for about 5k if your willing to spend that much....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 padraiglc

Thanks for all the suggestions! Im so confused though.....so many cars and I have to choose one!lol
    Just one other quick question....how much do people generally mark up their asking price???

padraiglc wrote: »
    Thanks for all the suggestions! Im so confused though.....so many cars and I have to choose one!lol
    Just one other quick question....how much do people generally mark up their asking price???
    Depends from seller to seller!

At a dealer most people look for 10-15% off, if ya got 15 off you're doin fairly well. The teg is a brill car, its faster than the others mentioned here and looks good, has a bit of "Boy Racer" stigma, but I think that red one wouldn't be boy racerish at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 padraiglc

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    Depends from seller to seller!

At a dealer most people look for 10-15% off, if ya got 15 off you're doin fairly well. The teg is a brill car, its faster than the others mentioned here and looks good, has a bit of "Boy Racer" stigma, but I think that red one wouldn't be boy racerish at all.

Ya it looks nice....small bit worried about what the seller said about the synchro though! Also as u said with the boy racer reputation and the fact Im only 20 the insurance might be a little crazy!

• Advertisement

padraiglc wrote: »
    Ya it looks nice....small bit worried about what the seller said about the synchro though! Also as u said with the boy racer reputation and the fact Im only 20 the insurance might be a little crazy!
    Ah I see, didn't know the age, well I reckon any quick car will be rotten to Insure. Celica wouldn't be as bad as the teg for insurance, and as mentioned the Prelude would be nice, they're a bit cheaper than tegs generally, try get a 2.2 DOHC Vtec though, lots more power! But most of em are autos. Don't think the dohc Preludes are as heavily weighted as Type R's on insurance but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭MrAbc

Just for other alternatives... I always thought these were pretty sleek...

Peugeot 406 Coupe 2.0L
    eg loud(!) http://www.carzone.ie/search/Peugeot/406/New-NCT,/200913192245639/advert
    or more classically smooth http://www.carzone.ie/search/Peugeot/406/2.0-Tax-/200913192303053/advert

Advertisement