Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Violence among Teenagers

Options
  • 18-04-2009 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭

This is something that has been really bothering me lately as its been affecting me and I wonder if any of you have been affected or know of the impact of it in your areas among young people..

I spend my free time in Waterford City and lately the level of teenage violence has gone through the roof. Thing is the guards won't do anything about it and its getting worse because of it. The reputation teenagers seem to have is stopping us being helped. As in, a friend of mine was kicked to the ground and assaulted by four teenage girls who also assaulted a male friend of mine. The guards drove past us ten minutes later as she was sitting up against the lamppost in shock waiting for guards to arrive. We asked why later on and we were given the impression that they thought she was under the influence and were ignoring her for this reason. Their answer to us pressing assault charges was "If they do it again, we can prosecute". To me this isn't good enough and its something thats really getting to me.

I don't think I'm alone in this. Has anyone else experienced this kind of treatment from the Gardai due to age or simply is sick of the level of teenage violence in our society?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

The Gardai always treat youngr ppl (mainly teens) differently to other age groups in my experiences tbh.

The most annoying thing is when they beleive an older person over you even tho you are right and have ppl (admittedly ur m8s but witnesses all the same) to back you up.

Does my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Yep, this is why I hate the guards. Probably unfair to paint them all with the same brush but meh.......
    The majority I have come across were planks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

It's the gardai....it's not like they're actually useful anyway

It's the gardai....it's not like they're actually useful anyway

Thing about the Gardai is that they're so uncool! They where silly hats, a lollypop man jacket and don't even have guns.

I wouln't say there useless tho tbh... a lot of them are just plonkers

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

My younger brother was mugged a few months ago. He's 15, and the guy who mugged him was his age or possibly younger. The guy who did it was arrested that night for being drunk and disorderly, or underage drinking or whatever, but in truth he got away with it. He was cautioned like, but from what I've seen in my town, the young people who tend to get cautioned are the people who couldn't give a flying fcuk about the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Vigilantism away!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

*dons Rorshach costume*

God damn, its too small.

*Gets nite owl costume*

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Teutorix wrote: »
    *dons Rorshach costume*

God damn, its too small.

*Gets nite owl costume*
    I like your thinking
    *dons Sackboy costume*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

Shacklebolts Journal, April 19th.

I've seen the face of this forum and its afraid of me. One day the accumulated filth of their emoticons and lolcats will foam up about their waists and all the Mods will shout up 'Save Us' and I'll whisper 'No'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

*dons Rorshach costume*

God damn, its too small.

*Gets nite owl costume*

Night owl, how does it feel to be the gimpiest super hero ever? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Last time I got into a fight, the Gardai were on the scene in a flash with the helicopter and all. Probably because it was about 10 lads kicking and punching the living trollock out of me and my mate and about 10 others chasing 4 of my mates around Drimnagh.

Though be from inner city Dublin the level of teenage violence hasn't seen much change in my eyes. Saying that in my area it's declined a good bit mainly because the local flats (St. Teresa's Gardens) are basically empty and the violence used to be the locals in my area against the lads from the flats.

Fad wrote: »
    Night owl, how does it feel to be the gimpiest super hero ever? :pac:
    You obviously never met the green lanturn

You obviously never met the green lanturn

True :pac:

Have you seen "Why No One Wants To Fight Dr Manhattan"? [NSFW!]

Fad wrote: »
    True :pac:

Have you seen "Why No One Wants To Fight Dr Manhattan"? [NSFW!]
    Big willy i take it?

Big willy i take it?

Lightsaber-esque

That video is epic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

the guards do nothing really about it.

on paddy's day, about 10 guys hopped on me, then my boyfriend jumped in and tried to stop them. eventually someone else got the guards, one on a bike. there were loads of people around but nobody stopped them, even though after a few of the people working at the funfair came up and said to the guards what happened. I was told by the guard a lot of it had been happening during the day and all that would happen is they'd get their names taken, nothing else.
    It's not like it was late either, it was about 7 o'clock in a very public and busy area.

One of the worst I heard about it was in that programme "would you save a stragner" that was on a while ago, there was a 13 year old girl on a bus getting the crap kicked out of her and nobody did anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

oh yawn here we go again. Blame the cops.
    If the cops arrested them girls they would get away with it cos there is no room in prisons . Thats probably the cops fault aswell though.
    I live in waterford and the teenage violence hasnt gone through the roof. Its the same as its always been. A few nob heads thinking their tough.

Meant to add the sarcasm face sorry. Couldnt find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

seanybiker wrote: »
    I live in waterford and the teenage violence hasnt gone through the roof. Its the same as its always been. A few nob heads thinking their tough.

I actually would have to disagree. Think Waterford's a lot worse now than it was.
    The amount of groups of teenagers just loitering around with nothing to do is absolutely unreal tbh.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

bythewoods wrote: »
    I actually would have to disagree. Think Waterford's a lot worse now than it was.
    The amount of groups of teenagers just loitering around with nothing to do is absolutely unreal tbh.

Surely that's the exact opposite of violence? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

An File wrote: »
    Surely that's the exact opposite of violence? :confused:

Yeah, sorry. Badly written post by me.

My impression of Waterford (and I spend a good bit of time there) is that there are just a LOT of teenagers hanging around with nothing to do, especially around the city centre, and a bit'a violence is imminent. Especially since there are distinct groups or cliques, if you will.

It's not just happy groups of young people hanging about or anything.

Like, I'm sure the same can be said of a lot of places, but I find it pretty noticeable in Waterford (moreso than say, Wexford or Kilkenny)

• Advertisement

kateos2 wrote: »
    the guards do nothing really about it.

on paddy's day, about 10 guys hopped on me, then my boyfriend jumped in and tried to stop them. eventually someone else got the guards, one on a bike. there were loads of people around but nobody stopped them, even though after a few of the people working at the funfair came up and said to the guards what happened. I was told by the guard a lot of it had been happening during the day and all that would happen is they'd get their names taken, nothing else.
    It's not like it was late either, it was about 7 o'clock in a very public and busy area.

One of the worst I heard about it was in that programme "would you save a stragner" that was on a while ago, there was a 13 year old girl on a bus getting the crap kicked out of her and nobody did anything.

Jeez in a strange you where lucky you were'nt too badly injured

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Jeez in a strange you where lucky you were'nt too badly injured

yeah i was. what i didn't understand was, it was the girls who were shouting at me, but the guys who hopped on me. what kinda of a guy hops on a girl like?!
    thankfully when they saw the guard coming over they ran away, otherwise things could have ended a lot worse then a couple of bumps, black eye and sore back.

Advertisement