Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck in a rutt!!

Options
  • 18-04-2009 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Like a lot of guitar players experience at some stage I've hit a brick wall! I feel like I've lost my mojo:confused:
    I listen to a lot of classic rock, blues and indie, but I've become bored of everything I have, its been quite a while since I've heard a song or piece of music that gives me goose bumps!!
    I reckon I need to broaden my musical interests, maybe jazz or......?
    Can anyone recommend some easily accessible jazz, or anything else?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Try listening to a radio station that you usually wouldn't. Radio na Life on 106.6 and JK on lyric would often have me sit up and think differently and reconsider a lot about tunes I'm working on and inspire me to take a different road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭eddie.fandango

You know, i'd actually recommend picking up a completely different instrument. I get into ruts like that, but a while ago I got into sampling, electronic music etc, making music entirely on PC. It really opened up a whole other world to me, and has been hugely beneficial to my development.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

Another instrument is actually a great idea, it opens you up to a lot of technique that can be ported over with good effect. Other then that something that recently helped me a lot was distancing myself for a week and just go out and have as much fun as possible. Do things you wouldn't usually do.

Sounds abstract but when you come back you will have a fresh mind/ear to approach the music at a different angle.

Zangetsu wrote: »
    Another instrument is actually a great idea, it opens you up to a lot of technique that can be ported over with good effect. Other then that something that recently helped me a lot was distancing myself for a week and just go out and have as much fun as possible. Do things you wouldn't usually do.

Sounds abstract but when you come back you will have a fresh mind/ear to approach the music at a different angle.

Perhaps an LSD induced trip in the desert, Jim Morrision style? Very inspiring ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

Perhaps an LSD induced trip in the desert, Jim Morrision style? Very inspiring ;)

Shhh!

• Advertisement

Zangetsu wrote: »
    Shhh!

Was it something I said?! :P

OP, I recommend picking up some kind of percussion instrument. I found that playing drums, and doing percussion programming, gives great insight to playing music. I've found that I'm more inclined to let the guitar take a less important role in songs now when it needs it, and you can come up with some great percussive ideas that you can apply to the good ol' six string.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Listen to musicians who play guitar in a very different styles perhaps?

I find different tunings can open up a whole new sound to my playing. If you've never listened to Nick Drake I would suggest giving him a try. He has quite jazzy influences in a lot of his timings, but I supposed he would be classified as folk. He plays guitar completely different to anyone that came before him he really unlocks the massive potential of the acoustic guitar with his tunings.

Learn a few of his songs and discover his tunings. Its almost like learning a new instrument.

Or coming up with your own tunings can be fun too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Neil.AE86

If you think you've hit a brick wall listen to some Andy McKee. There's still lots to learn...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 barrywalsh89

I went through this phase 3 years ago, what my problem was is that all I wanted to learn at that stage consisted of just bar chords and solos, I felt I wasn't learning anything.
    Andy McKee is Ok, but he's mostly just fingerpicking. Try looking up Erik Mongrain or Michael Hedges on YouTube, much more innovative, creative and fun to play!! :)
    The songs have a story or experience in them too, listen to this song and tell me it doesn't make you think of the sky or stars, or the Earth spinning on it's axis in the Milky-Way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz3PGSjHeo4&feature=channel_page

Advertisement