Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does the landlord or me have to fix the window?

Options
  • 18-04-2009 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭

hey quick question
    Im renting a house and some little punk has broken the porch window and im just wondering,do i have to fix it or is the landlord who has to fix it and its not like its my fault i just came home from work one day and it was broke and i dont have any enemies and nobody out to get me so it wasnt from revenge, just a little anti-social bollox excuse my language,so does anybody know the procedure in regards to this???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I rent property, so as a "landlord" i would accept responsibility to have it fixed providing it wasnt you or a guest that broke it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

step 1 - contact the landlord

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

snyper wrote: »
    I rent property, so as a "landlord" i would accept responsibility to have it fixed providing it wasnt you or a guest that broke it

well you see my landlord came up and wouldn't believe me that it wasn't my fault but i have no proof so hes tryna pawn it off as maybe a friend of mine did it,i told him that it would be ridiculus for a friend on mine to that but he wasnt having any of it,he must be just trying to get out of paying for it think

he should have insurance on the building anyway for stuff like this.

and also, if he's accusing you of something he better have proof of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

sexmag wrote: »
    hey quick question
    Im renting a house and some little punk has broken the porch window and im just wondering,do i have to fix it or is the landlord who has to fix it and its not like its my fault i just came home from work one day and it was broke and i dont have any enemies and nobody out to get me so it wasnt from revenge, just a little anti-social bollox excuse my language,so does anybody know the procedure in regards to this???

Your lease should give you the information you need.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Landlord will pay, they have insurance for this.
    I'd expect to have this fixed by Monday evening at latest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Abigayle wrote: »
    Your lease should give you the information you need.

iv checked,the lease doesnt mention anyting of the sort so am i stuck having to pay or can i just say no its his job,but my lease is up next month and im considering renewing but if i give him some stick about the window then he mightent renew it,now ders a conundrum lol

thanks for all the advice guys

iv checked,the lease doesnt mention anyting of the sort so am i stuck having to pay or can i just say no its his job,but my lease is up next month and im considering renewing but if i give him some stick about the window then he mightent renew it,now ders a conundrum lol

he's unlikely to renew the contract f you p*ss him off, if he's that type of fecker but do you want to sign a new contract with someone who accuses you of vandalism?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Landlords value good tenants
    Your landlord would be mad to lose you over something small like a broken window.

If you leave, he may have to refurbish the place and if the rent is set too high it might be weeks before someone moves in. Potentially thousands lost!
    Renters market my friend and as long as you've been a good tenant for your lease, your landlord will fix this and then hope you don't ask for rent reduction at renewal time

One month to go,maybe look around for better gaffs at better rates too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Alias G

he should have insurance on the building anyway for stuff like this.

and also, if he's accusing you of something he better have proof of it

Landlord hasn't directly accused him of anything so why would he need proof.
    In any event OP, his insurance should cover it...just make sure he doesn't intend to dip into your deposit as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

He can't kick you out if you've been there for more than 6 months - you don't have to renew since you'd be covered under Part 4 tenancy.

Contact threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

unless you are a real bad tennant hed be an absolute idiot not to renew your lease.

Tennants are leaving property hand over fist to get cheaper accomadation, but there are still some landlords with celtic tiger goggles on think they can keep charging the same rate and expect people that lost their jobs or had a big reduction in salary to pay for it.

My motto, a good tennant at half the price is better than no tennant at all

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Jellab

I would assume that the landlord has to pay for it.
    I wouln't worry about renewing your lease, there are plenty of houses/apartments out there and maybe your landlord will realise that once/if you move out his property may be vacant for some time.

Advertisement