Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drumcondra/ Royal Canal rail line

Options
  • 18-04-2009 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

Can anyone point me the direction of any information in relation to plans for the rail line running along the Royal canal (by drumcondra). Is it used at the moment? Are there plans for it to be used? Also any plans for increased services for drumcondra dart station ? I had a bit of a google, but I didnt find a huge amount

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

irishguy wrote: »
    Can anyone point me the direction of any information in relation to plans for the rail line running along the Royal canal (by drumcondra). Is it used at the moment? Are there plans for it to be used? Also any plans for increased services for drumcondra dart station ? I had a bit of a google, but I didnt find a huge amount

The trains into Spensor Dock go along the royal canal line.

And google "DART underground" for IE's plans to two DART lines in Dublin, one of which would be a Bray to Maynoth service which would include the Drumcondra station.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,926 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Wouldn't it be nice if they set up a DART/Luas/Something station under the canal end of Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The trains into Spensor Dock go along the royal canal line.

And google "DART underground" for IE's plans to two DART lines in Dublin, one of which would be a Bray to Maynoth service which would include the Drumcondra station.

Wrong - they go through Drumcondra. The line that follows the canal comes from the freight yard at the port and into the Phoenix Park Tunnel to Inchicore. The drumcondra line branches to Sligo or left to join this line to Inchicore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    Wrong - they go through Drumcondra. The line that follows the canal comes from the freight yard at the port and into the Phoenix Park Tunnel to Inchicore. The drumcondra line branches to Sligo or left to join this line to Inchicore.

Nope, look at the timetable, none of the trains from Docklands stop in Drumcondra.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

sdonn_1 wrote: »

You're completely and utterly wrong, I'm afraid. The line that follows the canal doesn't go anywhere near the PPT - trains along it need to stop, reverse, stop and return to their original direction to get to the PPT at Glasnevin Junction; and all Docklands services avoid Drumcondra and use this line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Nope, look at the timetable, none of the trains from Docklands stop in Drumcondra.
    MYOB wrote: »
    You're completely and utterly wrong, I'm afraid. The line that follows the canal doesn't go anywhere near the PPT - trains along it need to stop, reverse, stop and return to their original direction to get to the PPT at Glasnevin Junction; and all Docklands services avoid Drumcondra and use this line.

You're both dead right, sorry - mixed myself up there. We'll put it down to midnight posting!

Just this minute completed a mini-refresher course on Irish Railways courtesy of Google Earth :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

So which train services use it? Would there be many trains and I presume they are going to ramp up the amount of trains that use it, when Spenser dock is finished ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Nostradamus

So which train services use it? Would there be many trains and I presume they are going to ramp up the amount of trains that use it, when Spenser dock is finished ?

The line below the canal currently runs from Docklands station and out towards Maynooth and Sligo. Some commuter services use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Nostradamus

http://www.gov.ie/committees-29/c-publicenterprise/20030415-J/Page1.htm

Advertisement