Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Massive mileage very offputting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

emmmm its not that much to be honest...

And why taxi? There was a nice thread about millages. There were alot of examples with huge millage and in perfect working condition.

You can buy a car with 40k milles and it will be at stage when you will need to replace sh*t loads of stuff. And you can get a 150milles car, which have it all replaced allready 3-4times...

just a tip: Low milles does not mean that car is in good state.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I'd recommend you ask the owner to NCT it. If he refuses then it give you more room to drop that price a lot lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭tech

I have a 05 with 290000kms on the clock, going like a bomb have it from new!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

would check that it has a fsh if it does then happy days if it doesnt i would move along

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

As ShadowHearth says, it's not all that massive. The car is eight years old so it's only 17500 miles/year which is about a 30 mile commute each way five days a week. Plenty of people do much more than that. Carefully inspecting condition is a better way to judge a car.

I wouldn't even consider buying a 1.6l Passat though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'd recommend you ask the owner to NCT it. If he refuses then it give you more room to drop that price a lot lower.
    It's NCT 04/10 based on the disc on the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

don't be put off by the mileage, how it drives is the important thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

140k is massive mileage these days?

oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Zamboni wrote: »
    but the mileage is mental.

Small enough mileage by todays engines.
    I had an Opel Ascona 2.0i some years ago. around 240,000 miles on it and never used a drop of oil or skipped a beat ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

I wouldnt buy a 1.6 Passat, it wouldn't be any bit quick and the 1.6 vw engines arnt the best. You would be better off with a tdi.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Thats not a lot at all. I was expecting over 300k as i clicked the link.

Car should be fine if it has had a decent servicing record. That engine definitely is no rocket ship but reliable enough

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

with one of my cars at 150k and the other at 120k, I don't see anything of note there at all........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 65,029 ✭✭✭✭unkel

galwaytt wrote: »
    with one of my cars at 150k and the other at 120k, I don't see anything of note there at all........

Indeed. Both my cars are over 140k miles and they are high performance petrol cars. A work horse diesel A-B econobox like a Passat needs to be on 300-400k miles for me to call that mileage massive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

galwaytt wrote: »

A very slightly different class of car though:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Mileage per se is not an issue, the 1.6 petrol engine is IMHO, 19 century technology, vastly underpowered, thirsty etc.

Wouldn't touch it regardless of price, a dog if there ever was one.

Advertisement