Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Old Gay wants to reduce limits again!

Options
  • 18-04-2009 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0418/roads.html
    Byrne favours reduced urban speed limits
    Saturday, 18 April 2009 13:29
    The Chairman of the Road Safety Authority says he would favour a reduction in speed limits on roads in urban areas.

Gay Byrne was speaking after reports that authorities in Britain plan to introduce 20mph (32kp/h) limits in residential areas, in an effort to reduce road deaths.

Speaking on RTÉ's Marian Finucane Show, Mr Byrne said he believed most people were making an effort to improve their behaviour on the roads but some drivers would always ignore all warnings.

AdvertisementHe said the introduction of speed cameras was the only way to catch motorists who insisted on breaking speed limits, in the same way as an increased number of checkpoints has helped detect those who drive over the legal alcohol limit.

Well thats gonna be a scandal, i cant think of many places in urban settings where road deaths occur that reducing the speed limit to 30 would help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

well if thats the case, I'm gonna have to take the horse to work:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

fúck off, im already forced to go at 60km/h on the last leg of my journey home , i dont need it reduced (its only 60 because of speedbumps)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Do we ever think on our own? The brits do it, then we do it ... reminds me of the Life of Brian 'We're all Individuals!' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Having said that ...

They did that decades ago in Germany on side streets (not main roads) in housing estates and residential areas. 30 km/h per hour limit and all roads have equal priority. I seem to remember that it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

i think the old codger has it in for cars....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In Gay Byrnes defence, it is very unlikely that he came up with this decision!
    However, it may be more prudent to enforce existing limits before reducing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

the introduction of speed cameras was the only way to catch motorists who insisted on breaking speed limits

I disagree with this. Speed camera's will only catch speeders. They will not catch mobile phone users, sleepers, drunk-drivers, Polish drivers, untaxed and uninsured drivers, unsafe loads...etc.

Enforcement by human beings, not yellow boxes.

I have no problem with lower speed limits on residential roads. Now then, how do we legally define a residential road? the workability and respectability of this system depends on these limits being applied correctly.

Improper limits (Like that 30mph one coming out of Chapelizod on a road wide enough to be a Dual carriageway) engender an inherant disrespect for the speed limit as a whole, meaning a driver will be less likely to obey a limit where it might possibly make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Dartz wrote: »
    I disagree with this. Speed camera's will only catch speeders. They will not catch mobile phone users, sleepers, drunk-drivers, Polish drivers, untaxed and uninsured drivers, unsafe loads...etc.

I have no problem with lower speed limits on residential roads. Now then, how do we legally define a residential road? the workability and respectability of this system depends on these limits being applied correctly.

Improper limits (Like that 30mph one coming out of Chapelizod on a road wide enough to be a Dual carriageway) engender an inherant disrespect for the speed limit as a whole, meaning a driver will be less likely to obey a limit where it might possibly make sense.

quite true that road is pretty god damn wide. however i think if there was a realistic attitude about speed limits from the authorities in question there might be a bit more respect for the limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭but43r

Are you suggesting that Polish drivers should not be allowed on a road??? :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭Heroditas

How many people were killed in residential areas last year? :rolleyes:

Would a drop in the speed limits have saved them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Residential area fair enough. Driving 50Khm through kids playing is stupid anyway.

Now imposing 30Khm in city center is pretty dumb alright. You will see lots of taxi breaking down after 6 months. A car is meant to roll, not stay on 2-3 gear all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭Terrontress

but43r wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that Polish drivers should not be allowed on a road??? :eek::eek::eek:

Not only that! He seems to be suggesting that being a Polish driver is illegal!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭maidhc

ned78 wrote: »
    reminds me of the Life of Brian 'We're all Individuals!' :rolleyes:

I'm not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Speed camera's will only catch speeders. They will not catch Polish drivers...

ROFL what is that lol? :D
    Oh man not even gonna comment on this...Your stupidity speaks for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,294 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Not only that! He seems to be suggesting that being a Polish driver is illegal!

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Gay "I've been driving for years without passing a driving test" Byrne.

Another stupid ****ing idea from a guy who is completely out of his depth for the position he is holding. Copy and pasting what the Brits are thinking about is pathetic.

Why don't we just drop the speed limit for the entire road network to 10kph and be done with it. Its heading that way anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

I think they need to stop grouping all categorys of road together etc in terms of speed. There's a lot of roads out there with 80KPH limits that should be 50KPH and numerous places with 60KPH that should be 100KPH.

Let's fix what we have first with the system we have before we start taking out these extreme measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

mick.fr wrote: »
    ROFL what is that lol? :D
    Oh man not even gonna comment on this...Your stupidity speaks for itself.

Jesus Christ man, have a sense of humour :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Polish drivers

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

mick.fr wrote: »

Now imposing 30Khm in city center is pretty dumb alright. You will see lots of taxi breaking down after 6 months. A car is meant to roll, not stay on 2-3 gear all day long.

Hi Mick, me again. Care to elaborate on this point? How will a 30 km/h limit cause taxis to break down after 6 months?

"Roll" = coast or drive?

My "taxi" is well suited a low speed limit bein' an auto 'nall. Mild touch on the throttle and I'm at 30 km/h no bother at all.
    Maybe I didn't read the BMW blogs about cars being designed to be in a specific gear all day long to avoid breakdowns :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

haha ,he must be taken the p**s:
    if anything speed limets should be brought up 15kph extra on some roads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

Byrne, a prick! Tired of listening to him spouting about 'speeding' like some sort of mantra. What his qualifications are for being chairman of the RSA is I've no idea - it's proves we don't take motoring seriously enough in this country, so I'll dismiss anything that he says with pleasure.

When someone from the RSA, the AA or Dept. of Transport takes on the real dangers of poor driving they'll have my attention and possible support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

peasant wrote: »
    Having said that ...

They did that decades ago in Germany on side streets (not main roads) in housing estates and residential areas. 30 km/h per hour limit and all roads have equal priority. I seem to remember that it worked.

Sure it worked, it was Germany were things tend to be done correctly ie roads are generally driven well by users, the roads are generally good quality and more importantly the majority of Germans drive better than us lot! It's a bit like compairing apples to oranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Ah guys relax there is a simple logical explanation to this ,
    as we all know Gay Byrne is now very very old , like all old people he now drives slower. (Logical)
    Hes tired of other drivers up his hole when hes goin slower than the limit so to solve this hes lowering the limit for everybody. Simple as told ya there was a explanation:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

timmywex wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0418/roads.html

Well thats gonna be a scandal, i cant think of many places in urban settings where road deaths occur that reducing the speed limit to 30 would help.

Theres going to be even more deaths:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Guess you lot don't like him then... :D

Road deaths are falling, something is being done right?

"Do we ever think on our own? The brits do it, then we do it ..."

I travel through said jurisdiction regularly and enjoy the higher speed limits through country towns, ie 40 rather than 30, far more sensible.

Until the piss & vinegar brigade stop topping themselves and their passengers in single vehicle accidents this clamp down will continue.

Go figure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Gay Byrne "Speeding fines, there's one for everyone in the audience".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Fishtits wrote: »
    Guess you lot don't like him then... :D

Road deaths are falling, something is being done right?

"Do we ever think on our own? The brits do it, then we do it ..."

I travel through said jurisdiction regularly and enjoy the higher speed limits through country towns, ie 40 rather than 30, far more sensible.

Until the piss & vinegar brigade stop topping themselves and their passengers in single vehicle accidents this clamp down will continue.

Go figure...

Human Error is a factor they are not going to wipe out. A bad driver is still a bad driver at low speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Or....how about saying its your own fault if you walk out infront of a car...I think people won't be as quick to walk onto the roads to be hit. Speed limits don't have to change and the roads are a bit more safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Didn't they run an ad saying hit me at 30 and 9 out of 10 times I'll live. Hit me at 40 and 9 times out of 10 Ill die. It's the limit for a reason.

Advertisement