Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please

Options
  • 17-04-2009 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi All, can some of you experienced motorhome users please advise me as to the ways that the grey water tank from a motor home should be emptied??......I know the wastewater cassette can be easily removed and disposed of accordingly but the grey water tank is fixed....does one manoevre over a manhole and dicharge??.....what are the options for emptying it when "wild camping".......any comments, advice, experience welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The actual finer details on where the opening is and how it works differ wildly beetween motorhome makes, but yes, the basic idea is to position the opening over a dedicated waster water gully and then just let it out.

The option of emptying when wildcamping is: "DON'T"

The tank on my motorhome easily takes the effluent of two - four nights camping (depends if there are showers involved) and I'm lucky enough to have easy access to a manhole at home just in front of the house, so the dish- and shower water goes where it always does ...into my septic tank.

If I were to go camping for longer, I'd obviously have to empty the tank at a campsite ...but I'd also have to bunker more fresh water and possibly charge the battery, so a night on a campsite wouldn't go amiss.

It is generally not considered good etiquette to just empty your waste water into any old manhole you can find. Not all public drainage, but espcially not all roadside runoff is connected to sewage works ...and you really don't want to flood some river or bog with shower gel and the remains of spaghetti and tomato sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I use a fitting similar to this with an 9 feet vacuum cleaner type hose. I find this gives the extra reach as the dispostal points in many campsites can be awkard to manouver around. The hose rolls up where I strap it on top of the spare wheel underneath.
    My tank usually holds enough to get me home to empty is into a soakpit.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

I have a fitting similar to Stapelers' Also carry a "dirty" bucket that can be used for emptying the tank too if need be

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭KoNiT

Your comments are reminding me of the film "RV" when he's emptying the chemical toilet..

Film was invented for motorhome owners!!

Advertisement