Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chromium VI

Options
  • 17-04-2009 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

Not sure whether to ask hear or in Biology and Medicine

Is it possible to get tested for blood levels of Chromium VI?

Reason I'm asking is where I work I have to re-bag ready mix concrete - thing is Chromium VI is used as the main catalyst

What makes me concerned is the dust is so fine it stays in the air for around 5 minutes; even with a dust mask I don't feel that safe.

I've emailed the manufacturer to find out how much Chromium is present but don't expect to hear anything back

Thanx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

From a H&S point of view, if there's any chance of you inhaling any particulate matter that's floating in the air, it should be limited to a certain time or you should have breathing protection. Carcinogen or not, it's still damaging.

Yeah, it's possible alright, go talk to a doctor. You might have to send your sample abroad - so it might be pricey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

If you're worried about any chemical, you should consult it's relevant MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) and obviously consult your doctor if (like sunnyjim has said). I think that under the Safety, Health, & Welfare at Work Act, all organisations are required to have an MSDS available for each chemical that they use.

Coincidentally, I just did my honours degree thesis/project on the effects of Chromium VI in a type of worm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Jokesetal

Cr(VI) levels in cement are low, so the bigger problem would be particulate inhalation, leading to long term lung damage.
    If you wanted to check it then the GP is your best route forward.
    You'll have difficulty finding anyone local to test it, as it will probably lead to litigation. But you could look at the inab.ie website for a list of potential labs:
    http://www.inab.ie/directoryofaccreditedbodies/laboratoryaccreditationmedicaltesting/

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

I'd be very surprised if the concentrations are high enough to cause damage. Cr(VI) is known to be highly toxic, and therefore carefully controlled. You should check the occupational exposure limits (OEL) for
    COSHH is the UK control of substances hazardous to health:
    http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/2005/e05006.htm
    They seem to be mostly concerned with wet cement and dermititis though.

I would make sure the dust mask you have fits properly and is suitable to block this type of dust - I see many workmen with ill-fitting masks or the wrong type of mask for the hazard. There's a large document here:
    http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/fittesting.pdf probably a bit over the top for your situation.

Advertisement