Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened here?, two river cards?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

They asked the dealer to "run it twice". This means splitting the pot in two. One half for the player who wins on the first river card and the other half for the player who won on the secon river card. If they ran it 3 times the pot would be split in 3 and so on.

Running it more than once is used to decrease variance at higher stakes and ahppens a lot in all-in situations in big pots, but long term doesn't increase or decrease your profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

I was just watching a bit of poker on youtube, and in this video "Doyle Brunson vs Guy Laliberte 818k Pot, Biggest On HSP", a Queen comes out on the river and then it's taken away for another card :confused:...

What happened there?

Its called running it twice, effectively the pot is split in two, the winner of the hand using the first river takes half the pot, the winner of the hand using the second river takes the other half.

Usually happens with something like this

Person A: 88
    Person B: KT

Flop: QJ8
    Turn: 2

If the players get it all in then the players will often agree to run it more than once to try and minimise variance. If they agree to run it twice then they the pot is split in half.

The First River: 3 Player A takes half the pot with A set of 8's
    The Second River: 9 Player B takes half the pot with a straight 9-K

If the second river had come say a 6 then Player A would have taken the entire Pot.

Regards
    Ian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

Ok thanks guys, very interesting, I never seen that before. So is the first river card for the person after the button?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

Ok thanks guys, very interesting, I never seen that before. So is the first river card for the person after the button?

:)

No it's like there are two seperate hands. In the example I gave above the first hand would be :

Player A: 88
    Player B: KT
    Board: QJ8 2 3
    Winner: Player A

Second Hand Would Be:
    Player A: 88
    Player B: KT
    Board: QJ8 2 9
    Winner: Player B

Regards
    Ian

Advertisement