Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to know about cycling in Dublin!

Options
  • 17-04-2009 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

What are your comments/concerns about cycling in Dublin? What do you like and not like about cycling in the city? Do you commute to work via bicycle and how far do you commute, approximately?

If you don't cycle to work, why don't you and what would make you cycle more?
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Is this you?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Are you researching something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Are you going to steal our identities?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 DublinCycling

No, that isn't me. I am a student doing some research on what can be improved about cycling in Dublin. Sorry to disappoint!

If you're looking to get the opinions of people who don't cycle to work, it might be better posting it in Motors or Commuting & Transport.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Get rid of the cycle lanes and keep the roads in good repair. That's all I ask.

Thank you for that! I'm mostly curious as to what people who do cycle to work think of it, as first-hand knowledge is something I lack.

Like: attractive women on bikes, deer in the park, singing in the rain.
    Dislike: PM10s, cycle lanes, lack of shower facilities.
    Commute to work 2 days a week.
    Would cycle more if I lived in the Alps and was unemployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Howdy.
    Live in D12 - work though 10miles away in D15.
    There is no easy option for me to cycle to/from work.
    Really want to - num of reasons - health, used to love cycling.

But
    there is no safe route for me to follow. Driving this route last 4 yrs I have seen a number of cyclists having to deal with
    1) cars parked in cycle lanes
    2) buses/taxis/cars going thru cycle lanes
    3) navigating major junctions
    4) being overtaken by agressive/frustrated drivers on Knockmaroon hill

Not sure if this will help - but 6 yrs ago I saw a fantasitc cycle route scheme in Oulu in Finland - route was separate to road, had it's own underpasses, separate to pedestrians - and if any were on the route they had to give way. The Finnish were great - they really respected this and the cycling there seemed really safe.

Hoping for the day I can cycle to work - just hope I will not be too old by then.

Thanks Taltos, I was in Amsterdam recently and their infrastructure for cycling is so well-integrated in the same manner, it sounds as Finland! I agree that other countries in Europe are doing it better. Learning how to improve it based on what comments are made..thanks for the feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

Cycle to work four days a week, 18km each way. I would prefer to see no cycle lanes at all rather than the incoherent badly-maintained mess that we have now. I would like to see a more tolerant and responsible approach from all road-users, two-wheeled or four-wheeled. And I would like to see the coach driver who tried to run me off the road yesterday lose his driving license and his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Lumen wrote: »

Doubt we'll be seeing that in Dublin any time soon with this weather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

I cycle to work daily. I think that cycling in Dublin is fine, but that's only because I don't feel intimidated by cars. I see many adults cycling on pavements presumably because they are. Which is odd because statistically there is no evidence that cars pose any significant danger to cyclists.

Unlike other posters here, I think we need Dutch style or Danish style segregated cycling infrastructure. Of course, the "diehard cycle commuters" (among whom I unabashedly number myself) will ride on whatever, but too many people perceive cycling as dangerous. To encourage these people to cycle to work we need infrastructure that looks and makes people feel safe.
    Taltos wrote: »
    Howdy.
    Live in D12 - work though 10miles away in D15.
    There is no easy option for me to cycle to/from work.
    Really want to - num of reasons - health, used to love cycling.

But
    there is no safe route for me to follow. Driving this route last 4 yrs I have seen a number of cyclists having to deal with
    1) cars parked in cycle lanes
    2) buses/taxis/cars going thru cycle lanes
    3) navigating major junctions
    Taltos, this is the story with all of Dublin (except 4).

If you really want to cycle you should do so, and assertively (not aggressively). You have as much right to the road as any motor vehicle, and you should use it. If there's cars parked in the bike lane, cycle in the car lane - you're left with no choice and it is thus your right. Most drivers I find are quite understanding of that.

There is no such thing as being too old to cycle. There are plenty of old men around who have always cycled, and do so as well as ever now. It is possible that one can be too old to start cycling. You may be waiting that long before quality infrastructure is delivered here. So get on your bike! Perhaps there are quieter routes to take?

Húrin wrote: »
    I think that cycling in Dublin is fine, but that's only because I don't feel intimidated by cars. I see many adults cycling on pavements presumably because they are. Which is odd because statistically there is no evidence that cars pose any significant danger to cyclists.

Unlike other posters here, I think we need Dutch style or Danish style segregated cycling infrastructure. Of course, the "diehard cycle commuters" (among whom I unabashedly number myself) will ride on whatever, but too many people perceive cycling as dangerous. To encourage these people to cycle to work we need infrastructure that looks and makes people feel safe.

So you think we need build a separate cycling infrastructure because of fears people have that you yourself acknowledge are unfounded?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

I don't know that we need a separate cycling infrastructure, but it would be nice to figure out a way to bring cycling here to the level of say Amsterdam. There is a lot of fear amongst non-cyclists, I work with plenty of people who are terrified of cycling in Dublin traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

So you think we need build a separate cycling infrastructure because of fears people have that you yourself acknowledge are unfounded?

Yes. The fact that the fears are irrational does not make them disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Taltos wrote: »

I had someone pull their car out from behind me, across the continuous white line there, entirely onto the wrong side of the road, just as you head into the blind left hand bend under the footbridge while I was on the way down the hill.

Yeah - down.

So I was about to clear the corner and hit about 45-50kph, which is what I did as he braked for the speedbump and I coasted up along side him :D

Still - muppet driving of the highest order.

I agree with much of what's been said already about the poor state of the roads and cycle lanes, the nonsensical legislation, the poor driving etc. One thing that's particularly an issue is, I think, the danger of theft and vandalism. I have no confidence that my bike will be safe if I leave it locked around the city for any length of time. Moreover, I don't think that the Gardaí (have the resources to) give a damn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I cycle to work daily and have done for a long while. I cycle because I like being on a bike and because it is the quickest and most efficient way of commuting the 10k to work.
    My present place has showers which makes a huge difference over my previous place of employment.

In an ideal world there would be shower/changing facilities in every workplace (but that is not possible in reality). However it should be possible for folk working in large factories/office developments around the Dublin area, so they should be installed.

Ban bike lanes and widen the road instead.

There is lots of underutilised and useless footpath that could be riped up for wider roads - Dublin is an old city with a suitably old cityscape - it simply is not meant for the amount of vehicle traffic that current pass thru its narrow streets IMO.

Maintain the roads.

Enforce the road traffic acts - there is plenty of current legislation about what is and is not acceptable/legal in a motor vehicle and on a bike. If it was strictly enforced we would have better road behaviour by cyclists and drivers.

I also think that every school kid (maybe transition year pupils) should be thought bike handling and driving as part of the transition programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 paulmcd1973

Cycle daily, 11km to work. Good showers and cycle racks at work. Bring my two-year old home on the back of the bike, he loves it. 99.99% of other road users are fine, and give me loads of room especially when junior is on board. Had an incident today with an idiot trying to run me off the road in Sandyford Ind. Estate, but that's the first one I can think of in years. (98 TN, blue fiesta or Mazda 121, I was too busy avoiding the oncoming traffic he'd pushed me into to get more details). The few cycle lanes on my commute are in bits and I generally avoid them. Too many parked cars, pedestrians, broken glass from bus shelters and badly integrated cyclepath designs have pushed me onto the road where I feel a lot safer. I hold my line when I cycle and I'm not concerned about the traffic behind. I'd imagine for people who are new to cycling, the thoughts of a bus or truck up their a$$ are probably what puts them off. As I say, 99.99% of all other road users are fine, they occasionally make the odd mistake, but you learn to watch out for that. (I always cycle a door's width away from parked cars even if that puts me in the middle of the road, I've had too many near misses).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I live in Bray and cycle to Fitzwilliam Square twice a week 23km each way

Like - cycle lanes when they are properly maintained (loughlinstown to foxrock) and are not part of peoples driveways.
    Roads that are wide enough to cycle on without impeding traffic, drivers that see me and give me space.
    Getting to and from work in tuesday traffic in the same time or less than driving.
    Being able to plan how long my commute will take.
    Getting fitter

Dislike - being forced to use cycle lanes where you lose priority at every junction that. bastard dublin bus driver that tried to teach me a lesson by running me off the road and giving me a close encounter with his wheel nuts near fosters avenue where the cycle lane is to uneven to use.
    Donnybrook northbound - road surface is destroyed in the cycle lane but the cycle lane is still in effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

@fenris- report the Dublin Bus drivers. It is a minority but I and others have had this on occasion. Only a matter of time before someone is killed. Actually stopped me using that road entirely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Most of the cycle lanes I'm on are in decent nick, I like them when they have a decent surface. Some are impossible to cycle on because they've been designed and constructed so poorly.

Worst problem is the woeful state of the roads, especially the edges, sunken potholes and badly filled potholes. Dangerous parking that forces you into traffic.

Poor facilities at work, and lack of storage for work clothes, cycling gear.

Very consistent commuting times. Nothing other than wind changes your travel time, and then only by 10~15 mins over a 40 min journey in the car it can vary as much as an hour.

Great being out in the air, seeing nature, the weather, the world around you, and being unstressed.

Great getting exercise into time that usually wasted commuting.

It makes you happier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭NeilMcEoigheann

'Sup! cycle 22.4km round trip monday-friday commuting to college from knocklyon to mountjoy square.
    i purpously avoid the killing zone sorry "cycle way" due to its state of disrepair and "dangerousness"
    bus drivers are crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Hi, just want to know what peoples opinions of trucks (artics) in city centre is.
    I am encountering a lot more articulated lorries on the quays in past 2 weeks. I thought that they were banned under the ban on 8 axel vehicles. Is anyone else cycling in Dublin noticing a creeping increase in the amount of trucks back in the city centre.

ROK ON wrote: »
    Hi, just want to know what peoples opinions of trucks (artics) in city centre is.
    I am encountering a lot more articulated lorries on the quays in past 2 weeks. I thought that they were banned under the ban on 8 axel vehicles. Is anyone else cycling in Dublin noticing a creeping increase in the amount of trucks back in the city centre.

Port Tunnel has been closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

There was a similar thread a few weeks back from a Green councillor looking for ideas, so check this out.

Updating building regs to make showers/lockers/drying area mandatory for new office/shop/factory buildings would be my priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I have cycled in Dublin traffic plenty of times and it does not bother me at all.

I think cycle lanes should be given up on because cyclists do not use them, their argument is usually that they will have to give way at certain points were as on the road they have right of way so to them they care little for their own safety and more for getting from A to B as quickly as they can which is the same as driver attitudes :D

The only thing useful thing cycle lanes provide (off road ones) is somewhere for kids to cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Can't agree about the cycle lanes. On the canal the existance of a cycle lane keeps a space clear in the bumper to bumper traffic. I don't thing they should be mandatory though. But they are useful. Very hard for a motorist If there's bikes both sides of the car and cutting across in front of you which seems to happen where there's no cycle lanes and heavy traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

blorg wrote: »
    @fenris- report the Dublin Bus drivers. It is a minority but I and others have had this on occasion. Only a matter of time before someone is killed. Actually stopped me using that road entirely.

I reported it to Dublin bus, but it was an out of service bus with a high up recessed hard to read number plate and I was too busy falling to get a proper look at the number, otherwise I would have reported to the garda station not the bus depot (went to see if I could spot the bus as it would have had the marks of my shoulder in the dirt by the back wheel - no luck)
    The bugger was beeping while he came from behind and pulled in on top of me so I am certain he saw me and it was deliberate. As I was only a foot from the kerb I didn;t have the angle to hop up so I just went into a semi controlled splat.

• Advertisement

Thank you to everyone for your responses. So far I'm seeing a trend that there needs to be more awareness of cyclists, and respect, more than anything else. The cycle lanes: either have them or don't have them, the danger increases when there is a lack of consistency. More facilities (showers, lockers, etc.) in the work place would encourage others to cycle. Knowing that their bike is secure would also be an encouraging factor.

Overall, cycling is a very feasible way to commute, helps with stress, and if other motorists would be more respectful, it would be an even more pleasant way to commute into and around Dublin.

Advertisement