Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood for chicken house

Options
  • 17-04-2009 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Any recommendations on the type of wood to use for a chicken house? Thinking of using osb for the internals with t&g cladding on the outside but am open to suggestions... the cheaper the better. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭jack of all

I don't like OSB, except for limited internal applications. I don't think it will last too long in a chicken house, especially given that it will be subjected to repeated wetting, urine, droppings etc! I reckon you'd be better of with a WBP or even a decent shuttering grade ply would be an economical option.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭NickTellis

Thanks for the response. What's WPB? Water Proof Board? Will be going to my local timber supplier during the week so should I just ask for an exterior ply?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ennisa

WBP stands for weather and boil proof, i'm not joking. But exterior plywood is usually what it is called. You will still need to coat it with something to protect the exterior layer, or not depending on how fussy you are about the appearance.
    There is also something called marine ply but I think that is more expensive again.

I would agree with Jack that OSB would probably just fall apart after any time in the rain or being soaked in poo and pee.

Advertisement