Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vista Aero Disappeared?

Options
  • 17-04-2009 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

Recently I installed ''Saints and Sinners Bowling'' onto my laptop. Now it will not display the Vista Aero theme, in fact I cannot even find it on this system, can anyone help?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Vista will automatically turn off aero if it's resources are being pushed. Anyway this is a windows issue.
    Moved from laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

When certain apps that don't play nicely run Aero will be disabled too. MPlayer used to cause it to turn off Aero while it ran, but it usually enabled aero again straight away after you closed mplayer.

Could be something running at startup on your system that is causing Aero to stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

I was playing some game and had to force quit and it just disappeared, it doesn't run on start up though. Its not returning at all, any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Murph5

Have you tried these steps already?

Type SER in the Start menu Search box, and click "Services". Find "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager" in the list. It should have a Startup Type of "Automatic" and a Status of "Started". If it doesn't, right-click on it, select Properties, set the Startup Type to Automatic, click Apply, click Start, and click OK.

Type SYSDM.CPL in the Start menu Search box, and hit [Enter]. Choose the Advanced tab, and click Settings in the Performance frame. Check that "Enable desktop composition" and "Enable transparent glass" are both ticked on the list (or just select "Adjust For Best Appearance"), and click Apply.

Right-click on the desktop and choose "Personalise". Click on the link for "Window Colour And Appearance". Select "Windows Aero" in the Colour Scheme list, and click Apply.

If Aero still won't start after that, then it's an old System Restore or a Vista re-install time, I'd say.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 81,914 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The silly solution, but Vista will disable Aero if its on the battery and in power saver mode...

• Advertisement

Murph5 wrote: »
    Have you tried these steps already?

Type SER in the Start menu Search box, and click "Services". Find "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager" in the list. It should have a Startup Type of "Automatic" and a Status of "Started". If it doesn't, right-click on it, select Properties, set the Startup Type to Automatic, click Apply, click Start, and click OK.

Type SYSDM.CPL in the Start menu Search box, and hit [Enter]. Choose the Advanced tab, and click Settings in the Performance frame. Check that "Enable desktop composition" and "Enable transparent glass" are both ticked on the list (or just select "Adjust For Best Appearance"), and click Apply.

Right-click on the desktop and choose "Personalise". Click on the link for "Window Colour And Appearance". Select "Windows Aero" in the Colour Scheme list, and click Apply.

If Aero still won't start after that, then it's an old System Restore or a Vista re-install time, I'd say.... :(

Ok, followed all these steps, got to Personalise --> Appearance Menu and vista areo has disappeared from the menu

Check in the Services list that "Themes" is set to Automatic and is Started. Then right-click on the desktop, select "Themes", and see if Aero is in the Themes list.

1zw13df.jpg

Would it be because of this at all?

Yeah, that looks the likely culprit.....

Yeah, that looks the likely culprit.....

Have no idea to fix it, it says t has the areo theme installed but it comes up with the non-areo tops to the windows

• Advertisement

Try uninstalling that TuneUp Styler program, or try the "Rescue Center" module of it?

Is the file "aero.theme" still in the C:\Windows\Resources\Themes folder?

If not, run the System File Checker:
    Go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories, right-click on "Command Prompt" and select the "Run As Administrator" option.

Click "Continue" if the UAC prompt appears.

In the command prompt window, type in:
    SFC /SCANNOW
    and hit [Enter].

Be patient. It'll take a while....

Try uninstalling that TuneUp Styler program, or try the "Rescue Center" module of it?

Is the file "aero.theme" still in the C:\Windows\Resources\Themes folder?

If not, run the System File Checker:
    Go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories, right-click on "Command Prompt" and select the "Run As Administrator" option.

Click "Continue" if the UAC prompt appears.

In the command prompt window, type in:
    SFC /SCANNOW
    and hit [Enter].

Be patient. It'll take a while....

Grand, thanks. I'l try that tomorrow

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Experienced a similar problem after installing IE8.

FIXED IT!!!!!

Turned out the application had switched my Visual Settings from 32- bit to 16- bit... switched them back and its all back. Thanks for all the help anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ultrafastneal

Thanks to one of the previous posters - I fixed this issue by changing the bit-depth FROM 32 to 16 and then back to 32. Behold, Areo is back again. As far as I know, there was no application involved that did this, unless it was dell's control center app, which I really should remove anyway.

It seems to happen at random, but always when I swich to battery...

Anyway, hope this helps someone

Advertisement