Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a creaper

Options
  • 16-04-2009 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

Could anyone suggest a nice flowering climbing/creaper plant that isn't just twigs in the winter(if u know what I mean!) Something that stays green?Is there such a thing?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

aerosol wrote: »
    Could anyone suggest a nice flowering climbing/creaper plant that isn't just twigs in the winter(if u know what I mean!) Something that stays green?Is there such a thing?
    Thanks

Many choices but here are two flowering evergreens:
    Clematis Armandii 'Apple Blossom'
    Hardenbergia violacea

others (but requiring more regular attention, ie pruning):

Winter flowering Jasmine
    Summerflowering Jasmine
    Solanum Alba
    some Honeysuckles are also evergreen
    Cissus Striata (ideal for larger areas)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Thanks kindly,I've loked at a picture of the Clematis Armandii,it looks perfect.Do you think it would be poosible to grow out of a container?

Thanks kindly,I've loked at a picture of the Clematis Armandii,it looks perfect.Do you think it would be poosible to grow out of a container?

Actually ideal for container growing, suggest you build a framework with bamboo canes, large rectangular picture frame with central canes up through centre and train the stems to grow horizontal and fill out space. Similar to the espalier method of growing fruit trees against walls.

The scent from the small white flowers in early spring is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Sounds perfect for the space I'm looking at ,I have about 3m long by 3high i'd like to cover.Building a frame and containers is no bother,how many plants/containers would give a good coverage for this space do you think?
    Thanks again:)

Sounds perfect for the space I'm looking at ,I have about 3m long by 3high i'd like to cover.Building a frame and containers is no bother,how many plants/containers would give a good coverage for this space do you think?
    Thanks again:)

One might struggle initially but I would plant 2 to grow up centre and train separately to leaft and right of upper frame. Use a good size container if it's too small plants will struggle and you'll also encounter risks/problems with drying out. I would say a planter or trough 50 Lx 50W x 50cmD or 100cmLx50cmWx50cmD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭twenty8

Don't mean to hijack this thread - but looking for a good flowering creeper that will attract butterflys, bees etc. Want to grow it beside my veggie patch.

twenty8 wrote: »
    Don't mean to hijack this thread - but looking for a good flowering creeper that will attract butterflys, bees etc. Want to grow it beside my veggie patch.

Honeysuckle would be very good. Go for a variety that is evergreen, you could also underplant with dwarf lavenders, eg Lavender Blueberry Ruffles, L-Little Bee, these only literally grow to about 300-400mm height and spread, but will last probably 2-3 years.

Other lavender varieties would require more space, eg L-Hidcote or the mightier L-Augustifolia, allow approx 1 m for spread.

Another climber combo worth trying is Hardenbergia violocea, grows approx 2m h , evergreen nice flowering, but in late spring also plant in Sweet pea? Now there's a colourful and scented climber combo?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭twenty8

Thanks Sonnen - have a busy weekend ahead of me!!!

Advertisement