Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online poker and tax

Options
  • 16-04-2009 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭

From what I understand any poker winnings are tax free so long as the site operates within Europe?

What about sites like Fulltilt, which operates in Canada I believe? Would I be expected to pay tax on any winnings from this site and others that operate outside europe?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Grafter

The within Europe rule only applies to certain countries, not Ireland.

Full Tilt is based in Ireland anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

No taxes on gambling winnings here.

I think the UK are eligble for tax on sites outside the EU, but it doesn't apply here iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

If you live and play in Ireland you pay tax on nada.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Sweet. They screw us in tax every other way so I think it's only fair they give us something:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Where's iPoker based does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Sweet. They screw us in tax every other way so I think it's only fair they erroneously dont think we're significant enough to be worth persuing

FYP?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

NeoSlicerZ wrote: »

ipoker itself is based in israel afaik while a lot of the skins are based in malta.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

NeoSlicerZ wrote: »
    Jupiter if my connection is anything to go by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

in before CHD's "ipoker must die" post.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

In before references to previous tax threadsscandals...

...I think. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Grafter wrote: »
    The within Europe rule only applies to certain countries, not Ireland.

Full Tilt is based in Ireland anyway.

I pretty sure Full tilt isnt based in Ireland. The compay that does the software is but the license isnt. If the license was based in Ireland they'd have to pay corporation tax on their profits so I'd guess there based in somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

No tax to pay + rakeback means you can be totally sh*t at poker and still make a decent living even at the small stakes. And yes, I speak from personal experience - I totally suck and still manage ~ the equivalent of an average Dublin salary. It's really pretty remarkable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Grafter

I pretty sure Full tilt isnt based in Ireland. The compay that does the software is but the license isnt. If the license was based in Ireland they'd have to pay corporation tax on their profits so I'd guess there based in somewhere else.

Yep, the License is Aldernay (Channel Islands).

It's one of the Scandie countries that has this Euro company ok tax law and I think, but not sure, that when it was discussed on 2+2 that the conclusion was, somewhat bizarrely, that it's where they do most business out of ie have most staff, not where the licence is.

Alternatively, my pickled brain's making things up again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

AFAIK iPoker are listed on the London stock exchange, so you could claim any iPoker winnings are from an EU company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭HiCloy

fatguy wrote: »
    AFAIK iPoker are listed on the London stock exchange, so you could claim any iPoker winnings are from an EU company.

Yeah their parent company Playtech is

Advertisement