Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a computer desk!

Options
  • 16-04-2009 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

So over the years ive bought desks and they never have been perfect to suit my needs.. So ive decided im going to give building my own desk a go. I was going to get someone to build it for me but I would rather build it on my own sense of pride and all that... Ive come up with designs & dimensions and im looking for some advice if it looks good or not.

Link to the design:
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3639/3447904292_83c3e377bc_b.jpg

Dimensions:
    Base legs X 3 Number 1

2' 4" height
    2' width
    1" depth

Main Desk X 1 2

7' 10" length
    2' width
    1" depth

Xbox 360 compartment X 1 (2 pieces)

1' 1" length 3a
    1' 3" width
    1/2" depth

3' 1/2" height 3b
    1' 3" width
    1/2" depth

PC stand X 1 (2 pieces)

7" height 4a
    2' width
    1/2" depth

10" length 4b
    2' width
    1/2" depth

Shelf stands X 2 (10 pieces)

X4
    2' 10" height 5a
    6" width
    1/2" depth

X6
    7 1/2" length 5b
    6" width
    1/2" depth

7' 10" length 5c
    6" width
    1/2" depth

18 pieces in total.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

The design looks good dazftw.Thats the beauty of designing and making stuff yourself,being able to fit it to your purpose exactly.

What program did you do the design on?Its very good,I've only just started to play on google sketchup,I need a few more weeks practice to get any where near as good as yours!

What material are you thinking of using for the desk?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

don't have a clue.. im heading out to a few places to look at the the timber see what I like/don't like whats cheap and whats not..

I did that on google sketchup as well.. Im only using the program a few days.. I only just used the line and push/pull tool to make that hole thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Looks interesting dazftw! Personally, that small box 4A/4B I'd raise that off the graound, almost 'float' it, by attaching it to the side alone, or make it part of a longer drawer/cabinet unit that would also double as a support.

Also, piece 5C that runs along the back top that may need more support, it'd sag pretty quickly I'd imagine. You could face that off with another piece almost like a pelmet and put some lighting up into it!

As for timber, you could get some nice combinations there, maybe make the main work unit out of a dark rich wood, like Walnut (see Ennisa's latest thread for a nice walnut desk top) and maybe construct the rest from white oak veneer MDF, or even white melamine chipboard. I'd imagine, that unless you have some good experience with joint and cabinet making that you'll be making the most of this from sheet material, but I think you'd have it smashing if you went some a real nice, well finished piece of hardwood for the desktop!

Just thinking aloud here, but, say for instance you went for an oak desk top, you could construct the shelving units etc from white 18mm chip or MDF and then face the edges with oak to tie it in with the desktop.

4a & 4b are for holding my pc tower.. I originally had it on the desk but took it down to add the shelves on the right...!

5c will have shelf brackets.. if you look at the pictures there's 3 small lines where im going to put them.

Yeah I want something nice for the desktop like the walnut! I was thinking chipboard for the shelves and I don't really know for the legs.. Combination's sounds good now!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭trevo

a cherry mdf is also very nice. bull nose the ends and with a nice finish you cant go wrong.

• Advertisement

Any links to where I can look a different types of wood? Im going through the sticky at the top but most of those websites don't have any pictures for the products

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

dazftw wrote: »
    Any links to where I can look a different types of wood? Im going through the sticky at the top but most of those websites don't have any pictures for the products

Pics don't always give a true reflection of a particular wood, have a look in a few kitchen Showrooms for better results.;)

Advertisement