Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poured concrete walls. What insulation options?

Options
  • 16-04-2009 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hello, I am considering purchasing a 1950's bungalow.

The exterior walls of the house are poured concrete.

My insulation options are insulate from the inside or insulate from the outside. Any suggestions on pro's or con's for either?

From my basic knowledge I assume that the exterior approach may cost more. Tacking some sort of insulation/palsterboard to the internal seems
    to me the easiest way to do it (planning on diy job) :)

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,061 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Francob wrote: »
    Hello, I am considering purchasing a 1950's bungalow.

The exterior walls of the house are poured concrete.

My insulation options are insulate from the inside or insulate from the outside. Any suggestions on pro's or con's for either?

From my basic knowledge I assume that the exterior approach may cost more. Tacking some sort of insulation/palsterboard to the internal seems
    to me the easiest way to do it (planning on diy job) :)

external insulation is a far far better job.....

if you want to insulate internally to the same standard as external insulation, theres not a huge difference in cost.... and by same standard im talking about creating similar internal conditions.

however, the widely held perception is internal drylining just requires a few slabs of 'cosy board' and off you go.... which is an extremely dangerous view to have...
    Improper internal insulation WILL result in condensation build up, mould growth, and associated health risk for the buildings inhabitants.

If internally insulating, you need to consider many factors. the walls need to breath and sweat.... in the summer moisture is actually drawn back into the building and if this moisture isnt allowed back into the rooms to evaporate away, condensation will build up again.

If internally insulating, my advice:

use a breathable strong internal boarding such as fermacell to hang from
    use a service cavity created by vertical battens
    use a breathable insulation between horizontal studs
    use a vapour control layer between insulation and wall (intello or similar)
    use metal rails as grounds for studs

do not use insulated backed plasterboards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Francob

Thank you sydthebeat,

My concern about external insualtion is around how it may impact the external facade of the house. There are 2 bays windows at the front of the property, and nay increase in depth of the external wall may have an adverse effect on the facade.

Regarding the internal insulation advice you offer, just so i understand you correctly I have attached a graphic. From the wall moving internally to the centre of the room where the wall is 1. you would have

1. wall
    2. intello
    3. battens
    4. breathable insulation board ( fermacell ?)

internal_insulation.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 41,061 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the only change i would have is horizontal studs for the insulation, this allows you to use vertical battens for your service cavity, which is what you want when dropping electrical trunking and pipework etc...

if you are planning to create an air tight build, you can use an air tightness membrane between the insulation and the vertical service cavity studs.... thereby not puncturing your air tightness membrane for services...

Advertisement