Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenlands, Rosses Point anyone?

Options
  • 16-04-2009 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi there, was wondering if anyone has any info on this site? Was thinking of this weekend. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Can't really comment on the site itself, but Rosses Point is a nice place to be spending a weekend. Just come up and have a look (If you don't like it, you can always go to the other side of the bay to Strandhill which is just as nice but a bit less posh than Rosses Point)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭face2face

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

We were in Rosses Point over the weekend. The site itself is relatively basic, but functional. It tends to be quite busy but because of the way it's laid out you don't really get the feeling of being too crammed in.

It's right by the beach so it's great if you have kids, but there are high cliffs (as well as steps down) so they need to be carefull.

The camp site adjoins a long straight road and the public car park for the beach so it can sometimes be noisy late at night with people showing off their driving prowess. You don't necessarily have to worry about them getting into the site or crashing into you. Some people wild camp in the car park - we did it once when we arrived and the campsite was full. It seems to be a pretty regular occurrence. The Gardai drop by most evenings to harrumph slightly at the wild campers and warn them about the boy racer potential but I've never seen them move any wild campers on.

One negative - there were some dishes there this weekend in one of the kitchens which looked like they had been there since last year. They were there on Friday when we arrived and still there on Tuesday when we left and they had that funny mouldy look that you get on dishes that have been left undisturbed for a very long time. It doesn't reflect well on their standards. Other than that, the toilets and shower blocks were good. I couldn't find their gray water dumping point.

In general, Rosses Point has one thing going for it - the beach. Other than that there's not a lot to do within walking distance. There are a few pubs, a chinese and that's about it. Oh and a golf course. There is a single shop at the other end of the town but when we dropped in there wasn't a lot of food there. It's a pity really as it looks like even some of the pubs have closed since last year.

z

Thanks for that Zagmund, we have young children so maybe we will give it a miss. Was really the beach I was after, but don't fancy the rest of it. We normally head south from Dublin, but the weather forecast almost looks as if there will be a line across the middle of the country, with the upper half looking better. Had brilliant weather in Wexford last weekend and wouldn't mind a bit more! Don't want to drive for hours either.

Strandhill has beaches too ...and dunes ...and pubs ... and restaurants ...and plenty of surfers to watch and make fun of :D

And if the weather is nice you could walk up Knocknarea and marvel at the magnificent view (you can drive up half way in case your kids are small and not up for long hikes0

• Advertisement

OK Peasant, you've sold it! See you up there I suppose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MABLACK

Just be aware that the beach in Strandhill is not safe for paddling though the sand dunes are great fun for walks and kids play and you can walk over the sand dunes to a safer beach but the strandhill beach itself is dangerous for bathing. There are also seaweed baths in Strandhill which are nice.
    Rosses Point has 2 lovely beaches which are both suitable for paddling swimming etc. with easy access from campsite. There is also the Yeats Country Hotel which is very close to the campsite and residents of the campsite could access the leisure facilities, lovely pool, etc. pay as you go last year so I am sure this would still be the case this year though I havent been there yet in 09. The hotel is very child friendly and has a nice area where you can have a drink just off the bar and there is TV for kids if you fancy that,

Whatever you decide hope you have a good weekend the forecast seems to be good for the north west so far anyway.

m

paddling?

It's April :confused: ...even children couldn't be THAT fearless :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Looking back at my post, I may have given an overly negative review, but the basic point remains that Rosses Point has the beach going for it and that's about it. This suits us perfectly since our guys like the beach so we have been back a good few times over the years.

We had never considered the hotel as a place to go to - I guess they could do with a little advertising or something. There must be loads of people who camp at the site that don't realise there's a pool there.

We went to Strandhill once and it was fine, but it was a few years ago. When heading towards Sligo we tend to go for Rosses Point simply because we know the guys will have a great time on the beach whatever the weather.

z

Hi again, the beach is actually the main attraction for us too. I know from the sticky Zagmund, that you go to Morriscastle, we go there too, (went last weekend and weather was brilliant) because the beach and dunes are so fabulous. Parkland campsites don't do it for me at all, so much easier to entertain the children on the beach even if it's raining, ours are 7, 4 and 2 and we have a cousin of 5 on board this weekend too. I packed up last night, but still in two minds whether to go or not.....

• Advertisement

weather is overcast but dry at the moment, was sunny earlier

http://www.strandhillsurfcam.com/surfcam_enlarge.htm

Advertisement