Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PhD funding

Options
  • 16-04-2009 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've applied to do a PhD at a few universities including a couple of the big ones in the UK (LSE, Warwick etc). I'm expecting to hear soon whether or not I've been accepted. I'm confident enough of getting in (due to results, experience, proposal) but finding it hard to find more out about funding.

Do many people get offered places on PhD programs but no funding. Or do most colleges provide some funding to students who haven't secured government grants/scholarships.

In other words would it be likely that I would be offered a place at somewhere like LSE but be left to self fund my PHD study??

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Yeh I think you would, because I was applying to another big university in the UK (Cambridge) for a research masters (MPhil) and one of the key questions was: "if you are unable to secure funding will you be able to fund this course yourself." In more of less those words, they want you on your academic ability, not on financial terms, if it was money they were concerned about any retard could get in. What's your research area if you don't mind me asking? You should look into the 1 + 3 year PhD which are usually (basing this totally on the fact that you mentioned the LSE as a possible destination) funded by the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC). Did your potential supervisors say anything about funding to you at all? They're supposed to aren't they? Because when you're applying for funding they have to be pretty involved in the process. That's what myself and my current potential supervisor always talked about when I was applying to UCD and IRCSET. Are you an NUI graduate? You should look into the NUI travelling scholarship which will cover funding.

Advertisement